Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

ID - What the heck is this?

Funeral Of Hearts

Funeral Of Hearts

Found this in my tank today. I have no idea what it is, and if its harmful... Its cruising my glass right now. and it quite small (about half the size of a pea).

Kinda looks like a slug with soft spikes.

Anyone?

post-23237-1165261004_thumb.jpg

post-23237-1165261014_thumb.jpg

post-23237-1165261029_thumb.jpg

yea, looks like a nudi to me...pretty sure they can be pretty toxic to your tank if they die.

Yeah my tank didn't fare well when my nudi died. Filled my tank with his toxic stuff within minutes. Nothing died...but it came close.

I think people have differing experiences on this, however. Some people don't see much of an effect after dieoff.

Better to be safe than sorry. If you have a QT tank throw him in there. Nudies are awesome to look at. I once saw at the local fish store them hanging upside down the top of the water. It was cool!! But they are no good if they eat your favorite zoa colony.

RED

Unless you can get a definite ID on it, I'd take it out. Even if it might be a aiptasia eating nudibranch, it's not worth the risk that it isn't, IMO. Besides, Joe's Juice works great on aiptasia.

stoney waters

They are BAD. Zoo eating little buggers. Try sucking them out one by one with a syringe or baster. If they multiply you will have to fresh water dip all your rocks. Suck out the eggs also, they look like curly strands of tiny pearls.

i have heard horror stories about joe's juce killing other corals, such as zoas. any one else had this issue?

luscien

I haven't noticed it affect anything other than the aiptasia. I suppose if you fed it too close to something else, it could affect anything that ingests it.

Archived