Coral Vue Hydros

Lettuce Slug Laying Eggs right now!

kinetic

Hi Everyone! I purchased two lettuce slugs from my LFS during the thanksgiving weekend to help battle my crazy hair algae outbreak. (continued growth is stopped, but existing needs to get eaten).

I notice they tend to go all the way up to the top of the tank, as close to the waterline as possible no matter how many times I put them down near the rock.

Why do they do that?

Anyway, today I poked them off and one of them found itself on a long strand (like 4 inches long) of hair algae (yes, i know, gross). I just noticed with a flashlight that there's a clear spiral coming out of the slug's mouth area (or maybe it's his butt) and it's attached to the hair algae. The spiral consists of a lot of tiny round eggs. It's mostly transparent.

I'm thinking about getting a breeder net to put the eggs in tomorrow once the slug is done laying them, with a ton of hair algae in the net as well. Hopefully this will keep them alive and not eaten by my clownfish =)

Does anybody have any experience with raising the lettuce slugs? I'm guessing just leaving a bunch of hair algae in the net will do the trick?

Pictures tomorrow when the halide is on =)

Archived