SaltCritters.com

Mantis shrimp hideing

Hail_Ceasar

Well my matis was doing really well in his 7 gallon minibow home for the last 2 weeks then he just dissapered. After a few days i assumed the worse and began takeing out the rock to find his body. After takeing out all the rock and digging through the sand i could not find him. Then i turned my rock upside down and saw a shell stuck to the bottomof the rock. I pulled the shell out and the was a little hole and there he was quite alive and not to happy with me. I put the rock back in the tank but it has been another 2 days and still no sight of him.

He was very active before anyone know what might be happening?

Mabey he is getting ready to molt? I know my hermit crab hides out before and after a molt. One of the other mantis keepers on this board claims his little guy stayed in his burrow for an extended period of time prior to molting.

I'm sure he's fine. Both of my mantis shrimp randomly shut themselves up for a few days even if they have just molted. Some are just more reclusive than others.

niether of my 2 mantis come out, ever. one is extreamly nocturnial so i never see him, the other is so small that i think he hides instenctivly. dont worry, they will shut them selves off when going through a molt. and since you said he was eating like a pig, thats more than lkly what he is doing. good luck!

luscien

he is definately molting and there is no need to worry, just keep him in there, alot of mantis shrimp can close up their burrows for close to a month if the calcium levels inside the tank are not good

also dont try and check on him, it could end up killing him, he will come out when he is ready

Archived