Cultivated Reef

High Alk..High PH...why?

3twenty5

Ok well all seems to look healthy, added a perc a on friday after a 2 gallon water change(same LFS seatwater I have been using) and some zoos & mushrooms on sunday. I also started to run a bag of carbon in my refuge as of friday andremoved the carbon bag on sunday morning. My levels have been fine, now I go and test my Ph and its 8.4 and my alk is measuring high. Did the carbon do this? I had alot of evaporation so I topped teh tank off with RO/DI water and tested again getting teh same results...My tank is about 5 weeks old. I have also been noticing slight patches of cyano or some small brown diatom bloom.

Test the water your getting from your LFS and check your DI/RO water....either one of those could be it. 8.4 is ok....no reason to worry about that. What is high when your referring to you alk/dkh value?

The cyano bloom indicates that one of your water soruces may be problematic......do some tests...

Cameron

Well I have been using the same water from a 5 gallon bucket originally filled + tested fine from a LFS, the test kit I have just has a low,normal, high color for the test chart.

Archived