Top Shelf Aquatics

My 12 G Eclipse after 7 months

chufa

Well, I haven't visited here for the last 2 1/2 months. I guess the "fever" is gone, and I have learned more or less all I needed to be successful. Tank's been stable and trouble free except for some lingering hair algae problems and some low pH issues which I think are mostly salt-brand related. The tank, which some of you may have seen before, hasn't changed much over the last months, other than xenia spreading all over the place and the frogspawn growing so large that it sometimes takes up a quarter of the tank when spread. Oh, and I recently added a green clown goby.

Here are the specs:

Eclipse 12

Supernova 32 PC lighting

Elclipse filter and Rio 90 powerhead

20 lbs LR (aquacultured)/20 lbs LS

Fish: yellow-tail damsel, ocellaris clownfish, green clown goby (all small)

Corals: frogspawn, xenia, GSP

Other critters: 2 astrea snails, 2 bumblebee snails, 1 turbo snail, 5 blue leg hermits, 1 green striped hermit, 1 emerald crab, 1 peppermint shrimp, varous hitchikers (a crab, bristleworms, etc.)

Maintenance: weekly 1 gallon waterchange (Coralife salt & distilled water), dosing with aragamilk and reef iodide.

Chemistry: 1.025 SG, 400 ppm Ca, pH 7.5-8.0, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate all zero.

Thats a great looking tank. Your photo came out really well too. I would have believed you if you said there was a metal halide over the tank. (it just looks like it for some reason.)

The clown and the damsel get along fine. They stay out of each other's way for the most part, with the clown out in the open and the damsel in and out of caves. The damsel will very rarely have a bad day and give a few chases to the clown, but the clown holds its own.

It is not going that well for the green clown goby, which both the damsel and clown seem to be intolerant of. The goby, for the most part, keeps out of their sight. I am hoping this goes away as the novelty of the newly introduced goby wears off and they get used to it.

Tanks going nicely. Looks very good to me. Healthy too. One thing though, be careful with the macro algae, they can pierce most corals and damage them. I would restrict it to one corner.

Nice work anyhow.

Archived