ReefCleaners.org

Help, losing hammer coral

newreefers

Help, losing hammer coral

help, don't know what happened, yesterday am it was fine, did water changes, tonight I get home from work and it is shriveled up, major skelatin showing, some death on it. all other corals fine, everything opened up. used same water in all 3 tanks, no problems in any other tank.

it is about 9" from 72w of pc on a ten gal tank

water tests

ammonia 0

trite 0

trate 0

calc 450

alk 9.1

ph 8.3

salt 1.023

temp 78

mag 1465

where do you have it placed in the tank?.. high/mid/low light and flow?

do you dose additives? if so, what, how often, at what dosages?

Do you have any leathers in there? Sinularia, Capnella, Lemanlia, Nepthea, etc....these are very toxic genera that have chemical defenses to which Euphyllia are VERY sensitive.

You can, but don't be surprised if the Euphyllia stops opening and dies. They are among the most sensitive LPS to leather chemicals.

really......i didnt know that...so what can i have in my tank?....shrooms ok?....ricordea?...is that what is affecting my yellow poylps?

Ricordea are indeed pretty nasty little creatures. Do a little research on chemical defenses and aggressive corals. The interactions are pretty complex. In general leathers and coralimorphs are among the most aggressive.

IMO once euphyllia detach even a little bit from their skeleton, they are goners. If I buy another Euph sp, I'm going to buy a specimen with at least a few heads for insurance.

Archived