SaltCritters.com

Evaporation + Condensation = Frustration

mvite

Hey all--I was looking for some pro opinions---I understand that a "hands-on" experience may be a tough find, but I appreciate any thoughts you may have on this as it is messing with my life! I am seriously getting ready to throw in the towel:

I have a 200 gallon prop system open tub set up. I have a 110 that is 3'x4'. a 54 gallon that is 36" in diameter and a 20L tank---all of them are plumbed together with open tops.

Here in PA, the winter weather has been slightly mild. The outdoor temps have swung from 29 to 70 degrees. My furnace hasn't kicked on long enough to dry out my home air and the condensation on my windows is un-livable. I have a dehumidifier running 24/7 but it doesn't do too much. I have had TERRIBLE condensation on the 20 windows in my home---you can't see out of them. They pour water right down the wall in spots. We are always wiping them. When the real cold weather hits and the furnace dries the air--I believe this issue won't be as bad. But I don't know.

Someone recommended that I cover the tubs with plexiglas and cut out 2 large holes for the lights to shine through. I use rectangular pendants, so I don't know how that would even work!

Does anyone know if plexiglas will interfere with the "good light" from the halides if I don't cut large holes? I would maybe just perforate them with a large drill bit to allow some gas exchange? Also, does anyone think there is a better solution for a cover than plexi? I use CO2 and a Ca reactor--so I fear the lack of gas exchange would mess with my Ph. Cripes, I need to shine a big CORAL LIGHT (like Batman) in the sky for Mr. Fosi to help me here!!!

If I can't alleviate some of this soon---I SWEAR I am going to dump all this frustrating ###### and sell it all. All of my LPS, SPS, Zoas, ER skimmer, CSS Skimmer, Ca Reactor, Ph Controller, halides out the wazoo---you name it. Mark this post because I am serious as hell. This could ruin a lot of our personal items--and psycho-obsessive or not--I'm not willing to let that happen.

Thanks for your time and ANY advice as this is URGENT!

Mark

er1c_the_reefer

if you have a chiller, set it lower, around 76. if you don't have a chiller, get a chiller.

buy pounds and pounds of desiccants. you know, the stuff that comes in medicine bottles that say "do not eat"

open a few of the windows. if you have a window AC unit, just turn on the fan, but not the cooling itself.

oh yea, if you decide to tear down, i call dibs on sps. ;P

You guys are FAST! And I appreciate it. I am going to look at a larger dehumidifier tonight as well.

What is a squirrel cage blower?

Also, the thought of the chiller is intriguing---I guess I would be "changing the game" on condensation....you chemists rule!!! The only prob I have now is the cost of a chiller for for this many gallons---it is cheaper than gutting the soggy inside of my home though....

Any thoughts on the UV filtering of the plexi?

Thanks again guys--I appreciate your time!

er1c_the_reefer

i'd stay away from the plexi because it will block out light. not sure of spectrum filtering though. it'll work if you use it a 3-4 days a week (like how you can leave halides off for a day every 2-3 days without harming sps), but i wouldn't use it as a permenant fix.

if you're going to spend money on the dehumifier, i'd rather get the chiller. not sure how humid FL is compared to cali though. its really dry right now, my fingers are peeling like mad. damn santa ana winds.

Plexi doesn't have much UV shielding ability.

It also has a tendancy to expand/bow when exposed to moisture & melt when exposed to high temperatures.

I think that the main problem with the halides shining through the plexi would be that the plexi would get dirty really quick from the salt. It would cause your corals to not get all of the light that would normally come from your light. Basically you would be getting less light than what you paid for. Other than that, I think that a plexi top would be a good idea. My girlfriend has one on her 40 gal fresh, and it helps soooo much with the evap.

JMO

Good luck! :D

(Damn my slow typing. :P)

I just went to Lowe's and bought a dehumidifier for the upstairs of my home. That cost me about 1,000 zoanthids I would estimate....50 pints a day....I will be pulling it right outta my tanks soon! :D

What is a squirrel cage blower?

Its a type of blower that is used in Greenhouse's for venting the whole area with fresh air in a matter of minutes if the unit is large enough...In your case you could use a medium CFM and install in a box or what ever DYI that you could come up with.

If possable...vent to outside of house from that room...install it on a humidity controller.

YOur home may be a little cooler...but as long as your home is not ultra new with high grade insulation #...the blower will pull air from that room and everywhere else it finds a non air tight area...basically exaust the room evertime the moisture level raises in that room...just a thought to ponder.

Less expensive than the Hum dryer plus removes heat by venting the room so often...might get a little chilli at night though...but that would kick on your furnace and get some dry heat :D

Izzue

The Propagator

Forgot to ad DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK THE COLLECTION CONTAINER EVERY NIGHT BEFORE YOU GO TO BED AND EVERY MORNING WHEN YOU WAKE UP ON THE BACK OF THE DEHUMIDIFIER. ;)

If not you will end up a nice big puddle of water on your carpet.

It collects MUCH more quickly then you think it does.

Honestly though Mark, I think Your home is to air tight.

All Of my stuff is in the basement to and I dont get hardly any condensation.

Just vent it off with a small window fan in the basement out of a basement window.

Thats what I do wen I need to, and I dont get hardly and condensation bubba.

Are all the tanks in the basement or scattered throuhg out the house?

Hey guys--Thanks again for your thoughts here as you can imagine how happy my wife is with me right now!!

Update---!!! Things look great today! Its mild outside--about 40 degrees. Inside its 70 and my dehum in the basement is hardly getting anything. The new one up stairs just about dried out my eye sockets! I have emptied it three times already!! (Prop--it has a auto shut off when it reaches a certain level) I started it upstairs last night in front of the kids' bedrooms--and then moved it to the main floor before bed. It was nearly full when we woke this morning and the windows were only slightly condensated. I was also able to lower the tank temp to 76 degrees. Since they are in the basement, its slightly cooler. A tiny tweak of the heater and we were steady at 76. There are about 180 gallons in the basement, 50 on my main floor and 10 in my daughter's room.

I figure that I will run 2 dehum's during seasonal transitions. I know once things get cold, my forced-air furnace will make my air dry as bone. And then I will have something else to deal with!!! Needless to say, I don't think I am gonna have to run my furnace's humidifier this year!!!

LOL! I was just re-reading my post above when I was notified that you responded--and as I read that I classified 40 as mild--heck I was outside tossing buckets of water into the woods across the street from my house and I was wearing a short sleeve T-shirt. (Woods are what people indigenous to my area call areas that have lots and lots of trees, plants and animals.) :D

Nope-- I luck out with a "buffer zone" of about 2 miles deep between my street and some light manufacturing office parks. Other than that--all farms!! For now anyway.......

The buffer zone is supposedly in place forever... There are 5 years worth of our X-mas trees, jack-o-lanterns and lawn clippings over there!

• 4 weeks later...
I have emptied it three times already!! (Prop--it has a auto shut off when it reaches a certain level)

Most have a spout to connect a hose. I have mine mounted on the wall with a hose connected running down into the drain. Not sure your set-up but you should look into plumbing it somehow. I love never having to empty it! IT just does it's thing. All I do is turn it up in the winter and down in the summer.

Hey guys--thanks for the thoughts. Since the weather has gotten colder--and with the addition of the new dehumidifier--I haven't had any condensation issues. My dehum has a spout for a hose, but I had it moving all over the house originally. It's nice and light so I can move it from room to room. Lately, I have had it in the main living areas on a "maintain" setting--and there's nowhere for me to set up the hose to drain.

Archived