Pod Your Reef

LR/LS filtration limit?

jdiver

I'm wondering if anyone could please give me a general guide as to what the limit is to being able to use lr and ls as the sole filtration method. I'm considering setting up a slightly-larger-than-nano 35-45 gallon reef tank, and I'm currently weighing the options, costs, etc. TIA.

that's a reaaaally open-ended question. it'll depend on your livestock (how much/fast they eat and poop), the quality of your LR/LS (besides bacteria, microfauna process crappie too), and finally how often/how much you do your wc's.

if you're really goin' commando :woot: , i'd still think about a skimmer. a cc skimmer at the very least.

cost-wise it's the electricity of running a hob, cost of the unit, and your time cleaning out floss. i think the au naturel method is more for aesthetics and showmanship than cost or plankton generation issues imo

You know, I should know better than to post a vague question like that without more specifics. That'll teach me to get up before the sun! :D

I'm mostly into soft corals (zoos, leathers, shrooms primarily), and would be starting off with PC lighting at first due to costs, with room to add in a MH in the (hopefully) not too distant future. Bioload-wise, I would probably be looking at a couple of clowns, a couple of gobies or blennies, and maybe one other fish. (Could I do a Lionfish and a Green Moray? J/K!)

The LR I currently get is excellent quality, and I would be seeding with LS from 5 or 6 different tanks, so I would imagine the quality would be high. I figured a skimmer would probably be necessary, and maybe I'll look into adding a sump below the tank.

You could should be able to stock very highly with good LR and LS. But I would still recommend a skimmer. They simply remove organic compounds that are not and cannot be "re-cycled" effectively/efficiently by organisms in your LR/LS (or any other filters, for that matter).

In such a small tank, I don't know if I would bother with a predtor like those you mentioned, especially if you like your gobies/blennies. You might consider a Centropyge if you want another "swimmer".

Originally posted by sjpresley

In such a small tank, I don't know if I would bother with a predtor like those you mentioned, especially if you like your gobies/blennies.  You might consider a Centropyge if you want another "swimmer".

LOL! I was only kidding with my inquiry about the Lionfish and Moray. J/K = Just Kidding! :)

Indeed you never know, and I frequently jokingly ask those types of ridiculous questions. The guy at my LFS and I have a perfect plan- a 10 gallon with a Lionfish, Goldfish, Kribensis, and a built up rock/land formation to put a hamster on, for a true biotype. lol

For a biotype, you might want to reconsider the goldfish since it is asian. I don't know where hamsters are from, but most (if not all) gerbils are african desert animals. I suppose you could go with an estuary thing with the kribs and lionfish (just have to explain to him to stay on the "saltwater" side of the tank). The gerbil might wind up creating a mess with all it's dust bathing though.

lol Interesting points that I hadn't considered. Perhaps a Pygmy Hippo would be a more fitting addition to the biotope, in order to preserve region authenticity.

Archived