ReefCleaners.org

New 15g photos

Ike

This is really just a test to see if I can post images. Anyone know how to post more than one image at a time?

BTW, the tank is about a day old in the photo.

More & details to come if this works.

Ike

15g All-glass with drilled overflow

10g Sump split into 3 chambers (I'm going to try to create a small refugium in the sump.)

2x55 watts PC, from AH Supply, 10,000k & actinic in a home-made hood vented with a 3" Radio-Shack fan to keep things cool.

IndiGlow Night-light for a little moon-light effect.

Jalli 100watt Titanium heater (in sump)

Titanium grounding probe (in sump)

Mag 2 return pump

Mini jet power heads

Prizm skimmer (which is pretty quiet for a venturi skimmer & has already pulled out a ton of crap in it's first day of operation.)

Using Tropic Marin salt

@ 15lbs of oolite sand

@ 14lbs Fiji live rock

@ 12lbs Tonga live rock

More rock, just a differect view.

It's been going for almost a little over a week now. Lots of Macro-algae coming out. As well as a ton of hair, etc. I hope the water will be cycled & I can add a clean-up crew this weekend.

Using RO/DI water.

Any comments or suggestions?

Also, the lights are so bright that I get a nice rippling effect similar to a metal halide bulb. I really didn't expect that.

Ike

Nice setup! I really like the aquascaping, and it looks like you'll have lots of space to put corals (always important). I only see 1 PH in the main tank. Is there another one in there obscured from view? I have a 15 gallon set up as well, and IME 2 PHs are necessary for adequate current, given the tank length.

SeaMountain

Very nice looking set up.

You may have wanted to drop this thread in the 'Members' Nano Reefs' section! ;)

You can add additional images to a single post if you host the pics somewhere online. Then use the VB code to call them.

Cycle in a week? Have you been testing for ammonia/nitrites/nitrates?

My tank has only been up for 3 days. Ammonia is consistent at .25 with no nitrites. Some say you won't have a spike at all using cured LR. I would test and wait at least a couple of weeks before adding anything else, to allow everything to settle in.

Then begin your journey!

Nicely done BTW from your pics! B)

Thanks!!!

Yeah, so far I only have one powerhead in the tank. I haven't decided where to put the other one yet. I'm also trying to figure out what to do about switching between the two to create a little random water flow.

My next project is trying to find a way to quiet the hood fan. It's a 3" Radio Shack A/C fan. Works great at keeping things cool, but it is LOUD. I've been thinking about making a rubber gasket out of old bicycle tire tube. I'm willing to bet there's a better way though.

Ike

freakaccident

Relpace the fan with a better fan. I use the RS fan too. Its loud but I use the other stuff running my tank to drown it out.

I do a ton of shoping at that fish place, just so you know be extra careful of what you belive from them. Most of them dont know anything about keeping reefs. Actually most dont have a tank I bet.

JJ

Yeah, I just went out there to buy dry-goods at a reasonable price. The holding tanks for corals looked like ######. The live rock was actually pretty nice, but that was about it.

I live in Jersey, across the river from Manhattan, so I probably won't be going out there again.

It's a pretty cool store though. Just the quantity of items they have in stock is amazing.

Ike

Bucket o Chum

You shouldn't have purchased liverock from That Fish Place I live in lancaster PA and their prices are oh so very high. Its a ripe off plus the rock smells. $ 6.99 for a pound of tonga rock and $ 5.99 for fiji. Those evil people with their high prices a stinky rocks :( . You could have gotten a better deal at http://www.gulf-view.com

I would have loved to have been able to have my liverock shipped to me. I'm sure that I could have found a better deal, but unfortuately my work schedule makes that impossible. I can't take time off to wait for deliveries & I didn't feel like having it shipped to my office & then dragging a huge box of rocks home on the subway.

Considering the rock that I've seen at other stores, it really isn't that bad.

Unit, the sump is a piece of cake. I just took a 10g. Made two baffles out of a sheet of acrylic, stuck them in place with aquarium sealant & that was it.

I made the tops of the baffles about an inche below the intended waterline.

I put the outlet from the tank draining into the first chamber; I also put a Prizm skimmer there as well. It fits perfectly hanging on the end of the tank.

The middle chamber contains @ 3" of sand and a bunch of liverock rubble. I'm going to try to cultivate some macroalgae in there so that I can export some excess nutrients. I'm going to light it with the yellow 13w PC shop-light in the picture above. I bought it at Home Depot for $20. It's probably the brightest 13 watts of light I've ever seen. The bulb says that it's 4100K. But it looks more like a 6500K bulb.

The thrid chamber contains my return pump, a Mag 2. The plumbing is all PVC. I placed a valve in both the outlet & the return. As it turns out I needed to adjust both in order to get the flow & water levels the way I wanted.

I was able to keep my heater, pump, thermometer, grounding probe, skimmer, etc., all in the sump & out of the tank. Now I just need to rig up a top-off system.

Ike

I live in millersville about 10 mins away from that pet place, so I am there a lot. I have not had experience with their rock. I have bought all on line. But I do know for food, equip, and dry goods it is convienint as hell. I buy live stock there to but you must be very careful (of the fish especially). Bucket have you ever been to Tony's Reef in York? It's small but great costumer service and great healthy stock.

JJ

I cut the acrylic myself. Straightedge, utility knife & the edge of a table were all it took.

$10?!?!?!?!? DOH.....

I caould have saved myself some $.

Is your overflow (strainer) noisy. I almost did the same thing, until I saw a lobster tank set up with a strainer and bulkhead like you did and it was constantly gurgling.

Well, when I first set it up the water level in the main tank was low enough that the strainer was able to surface skim a little bit. That made it gurgle. Not bad, not even enough to be annoying. I just expected the system to make a little noise. When I raised the water level, however, it stopped skimming & the gurgling stopped. Now it's almost silent.

freakaccident

Mine is almost silent too. I think it all has to do with how fast the water goes down the tube. I adjusted the valves until I was happy.

Archived