Coral Vue Hydros

New tank design, please help.

Sahin

Hi everyone. I have abandoned the idea of a full sized reef that I would have setup costing almost £1000 because I have decided to buy a small flat.

But I do want to change the design of my current tank.

Here is my proposed idea.

OK now what I want to do is to divide the tank into 2 parts to have an in-tank ref/sump. I want the divider to act as overflow (I am not sure this is the correct word) so that the surface water flows over the divider into the sump. Whereby all surface scum is removed and washed into the water column and thgus more readily picked up by the skimmer.

I also want to put lots of beneficial algae to soak up excess nutrients.

No fish will reside in this part of the tank so the pod population may flourish.

I also need advice on the best type of substrate to use--possibly calcium based?

Lighting will remain the same, basically lights will cover whole length of tank.

Let me know your thoughts/advice etc

Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

I like it. Always thought side by side reef and fuge would make a neat tank. I would reverse the overflow though, you'll benefit more from the zooplankton that way. You could hide the pump behind a rock in the display. For substrate, I'd use fine aragonite sand. What are you going to do with everything while you're modifying the tank?

Thanks. I agree with reversing the flow, but I am more interested in getting the water flow from main area to ref area so that surface scum cannot buildup in main tank area. See the problem I am having right now is that surface scum builds up very quickly, and I am sure blocks out some light reaching the corals.

I can put the pump high so above rocks and since most pods reside very near substrate/rock areas not much will be pulled in by the pump.

I have a large container that I can transfer all rocks/corals and setup pumps/lighting temporarily.

Or if I find a tank with exact same dimensions, then I can get a simple hoodless tank for very cheap, so thats no problem.

Keep the thoughts/advice coming, this is very helpful. Thanks Satchmo.

Archived