Coral Vue Hydros

Which clowns host more readily?

JTrigger

I was just wondering if specific types of clowns tend to host more readily than others. I understand that tank raised might be more difficult with hosting, but would you say that certain sp i.e. maroons or clarkii, or sebae might host more readily than ocellaris...etc? Just wondering...

all depends on intended host.

They all will take to something.

I have an occie in my 10 gal that likes the Caulerpa Floridens I wove into a ball.

technoshaman

Like dave said but my dumb ass percula after doing some aquascaping now want's to host in my torch instead of the brain coral. Last night after the move he was trying to host in my hippopus clam. For me it's more about what won't he host in.

My ocellaris hasn't hosted to anything and it's been > 1 mo. now... just wondering if I should try to get somethin else that might host... hrm, there's a carpet and a condylactis in the tank as well as bubble coral... hrm, he prefers to stay with the cleaner shrimp...

it took 3 months for my clown to take a liking to my Trachyphyllia geoffroyi.. and even then, he only sleeps in it..

clowns are just that.. weird.. some take to anything (including the reported powerhead), and some take some coaxing...

i have 3 percs, one true in the nano and two falsies in the 55. They host in numerous things. The false percs hosted faster than the true though..........ive heard they are less picky about finding a host.

From what I have been told, ocilleris are the least likely to host with an anenome. If you do a google search there are alot of sights that have clownanenome charts about the ideal matches. I'll try to get one and post it for you.

Thanks for all the input from everyone... I swapped my ocellaris for a juv clarkii and it hosted to the carpet, condylactis, and bubble coral ... but usually sleeps in the carpet. Kewl! :P

Of the common trade clowns, Clark's and Maroon are the most likely to host to their preferred types of anemones, with Skunks in a close second. Ocellaris are by far the least likely. Everything else (Percs, Tomatos, etc.) are somewhere in the middle. Much of the hosting instinct doesn't develop until they age some (say ~6 months), so don't be surprised if juvies don't settle on anything at first. I iamgine your Clark's will spend the majority of his time in the carpet before too long.

The other major point to consider is that clowns host in anemones for protection. If they are in a stress-free tank with few other fish, especially docile ones, they are less likely to host. When you think about this, it's actually a good sign of the fish's happiness, even if it doesn't fit that picture msot of us have in our minds of a cute clown all nestled up in an anemone.

my percula uses almost everything in my tank as a host. at night time he sits in my figi yellow leather coral during the day he hangs in the tenticles of the frogspawn and once in awhile he plays with the sweeper tenticles of the galixia coral. he doesnt play with the mushrooms at all but he likes the other stuff in there.

His behavior changed when he started hosting before he was a nice little fish who liked to come up to the glass and be friends not hes kind of an A$$ who swims in his corals all the time god forbid I stick my hand in the tank he bites the heck out of me as many times as he can before i chase him under the rocks. It took him almost a year before he started hosting it. It can take as little as 3 months or as much as a year before they develop this behavior.

My false percs hosted with my branching frogspawn, my alveopora and even tried with my huge Hawaiian feather duster. She got all upset with the duster as it closed as soon as she started roosting.

If I go anywhere near these corals with my hand, she attacks me.

I have a buddy who has a rubber koosh ball in his tank (for now) and his clarkii loves it.

Funny aren't they? No wonder why they are the ambassador fish to the reefer!

we had a thread a little while ago about those koosh balls being substitutes for anemones.. we weren't sure how well they'd be accepted.. interesting...

Archived