Top Shelf Aquatics

anthia help

sandiegan

Hmm, so I could really use some input ASAP. 1 of my 4 anthias hasn't shown up for the past day or two which concerned me, esp regarding him eating. But I thought he might be eating some cyclopeeze that floats around and pods etc etc. He showed up just now sitting on the sand in the corner of my tank. Very heavy breathing and something's wrong w/ his slime coat as he's covered in various places w/ detritus etc thats stuck on him. Ideas please?

how new is the fish? is it a male or female? what are the other sexes of the anthias? what species of anthias? what size tank? what other fish in the tank?

water parameters?

my initial guess is stress from acclimation or aggression. answering the above questions in full will help us pinpoint. :)

thanks

Fish is about 11 days in the tank. Male anthia, the other 3 are female lyretails. Tank is a 120 cube (3'x3'x2') with 2 clarkii's, 1 sixline, 3 cardinals (banggai and pajama), 6 small chromis, engineer goby, lawnmower blenny, and orange spotted goby.

The only agression I really witness is the clarkiis around their carpet. Everything else seems pretty chill.

which fish is cowering? a female or male? sometimes males can be overbearing :)

sounds like a good mix of fish. anything up with the water quality? an increased slime coat could mean an out-of-wack water quality issue as it can irritate the fish's skin enough to increase the protective slime coat. thus the sticking of material to it. this could also be an acclimation issue.

are you seeing any improvements in health/vitality?

gl

I'll try checking my params, but everything should be good. I guess I was a bit misleading w/ my first post, as the fish isn't exactly cowering as he is now just plain missing. It was the male that was doing it. While I really don't think it was an acclimation issue, it'd be a toss up between that and H2O quality. The other 3 anthias were acclimated same time/way that he was, and he appeared fine for the first week or so. At any rate, I don't really have hopes for him anymore as I haven't seen him since yesterday again, even at feeding time.

THanks for you help Six

Archived