Coral Vue Hydros

Light Brown algae

SirHelm

Hey Guys,

I had bought a used 30 gallon tank with live rocks/crushed coral, etc..

I re-used all water and rocks when I re-setup the tank. I have had it now for 2 weeks. Stats are:

30 Gallon

SG 1.023

KH 10

PH 8.1

Nitrites less than .03

Ammonia 0

Temp 78

65 watt power compact smart 10,000k bulb (50/50) left on between 8-10 hours a day.

10-15% water changes every week, sometimes twice a week.

Dosing with B-Ionic 2 step calcium and alkilinity buffer

also dose with a ph buffer.

Using RD/IO store bought water and store bought red sea mixed water.

Currently have a bunch of red legged/blue legged and small hermit crabs, and 4 snails.

1 yellow tailed damsel and 1 royal gramma.

I have noticed a couple of things...

1) Coraline is disappearing (going from pink to white)

2) light brown gunk starting to grow on the gravel and bottom sides of the tank. I clean this daily....

What the heck is it? Is it an algae bloom of some sort?? Is it good or bad? If it is bad how the heck to I get rid of it.

Thanks

SH

It's diatoms. Diatoms are a normal thing for a new reef aquarium. And what kind of lighting are you using and for how long?

I ask this because different types of coralline like different kinds of light. For instance, in a low light aquarium you might notice lots of deep pink/red/purple coralline where in a high light aquarium you might notice pink and green coralline.

John

does your brown algae tryp stuff grow only where the light hits the substrate and rock?? I am getting the same stuff and it seems like it is not Diatoms because of the light factor.

Archived