Top Shelf Aquatics

Spermicide for Snails?

Seanfg89

My snails (Astrea and Nerite, 4 of each) breed constantly. Every time I look in my tank, another snail releases a load of sperm into my water. Then a couple days later, the other snails lay small white eggs all over my glass and back wall. At first I just put up with scraping the eggs off the glass and wall but now they're laying them all over my live rock and its really starting to irk me. The last thing I want is hundreds of minute snails everywhere in my tank so is there anything I can add to the water to kill their sperm without harming anything else? I've tried ultra-fine polyester for the filter but its not enough, they still manage to get to it before it gets removed. I'm open to any suggestions.

The eggs may be annoying but have any actually hatched... I would think they'd get eaten first... My only other solution is to stop playing Marvin Gaye and Barry White near the tank...

Edit: It appears that this was my 200th post... what a topic...

My two clowns eat some of the seed but evidently, they don't get all of it because more eggs keep showing up. I haven't seen any hatch yet because I've been constantly removing them but they are indeed eggs because I can see the underside of those that are laid on the glass and there is a yolk and embryo and everything you would expect in an egg. Nothing seems able to eat them once they are laid because they have a hard outer shell that is a pain even for me to break with a razor blade. As for playing Marvin Gaye and Barry White...I'm in a college dorm, even if I stop playing mine, the guy next door will still be playing his :P .

Reproduction is a sign of a healthy tank. The eggs will be gone in two or three days, ime. Not hard to get off the glass with a mag float either, ime. I don't think you should be worried about being overpopulated. I haven't seen any of mine hatch or reach maturity.

Reproduction is a sign of a healthy tank. The eggs will be gone in two or three days, ime. Not hard to get off the glass with a mag float either, ime. I don't think you should be worried about being overpopulated. I haven't seen any of mine hatch or reach maturity.

i agree. if its annoying, get rid of the snails cus they are happy and arent going to stop. ;)

Point well taken, I guess I should just be glad that the water is of good enough quality for them to mate. It is quite a conversation piece when someone is looking at my tank and then a cloud of sperm is released :lol: . Its just annoying to have to keep scraping the eggs off the glass, I like to have the glass completely clean and clear so as not to impede viewing. Thanks for the input.

Archived