Innovative Marine Aquariums

Serious ich problem

allenspidey

I have had my setup for about 6 months now. I do my weekly water changes and everything has been going great. I just put a new skimmer or skilter I should say (I know, I know). I noticed that my tank had a nitrite reading above 0. So I started doing changes a little more often. Last week I noticed that my clown had ich. My lfs said to put a neon goby in and that would help with the ich. Now it has ich too. I don't have a quarantine tank that I can put them in because it is currently being used to make liverock. Any ideas? Both are still eating well but the clown has it bad. These are the only fish in the tank. Any help would be great!

Thanks

Make a "temporary" quarantine and start treating them. You could use a bucket if that's all you've got. There are supposedly medications that are labeled "reef safe". But, the tried and true method of quarantine and treat would be my first choice.

mybuickskill6979
Don't they cost over $100? I really can't justify that. What about a copper free ich treatment?

if you have a friend who has one thats not in use. i hate medication, and UVs are useful for alot of things in a tank. but hey to each his own!!

My clown came home with Ich and I think that he has beat it. I had one of those tiny jars of garlic and would pull out a little larger than pinhead serving and mix it with a few pinches of their flake food. I fed it to them everyday and it seems like it is going away. I do have a cleaner wrasse in the tank and he does look like he is picking stuff off of the clowns but I have read yhat he doesn't help with Ich.

I bought something called Ich attack. It says that it is 100% safe for reef tanks and will not harm liverock or inverts. Hope it works. Anybody heard anything about it?

Archived