ReefCleaners.org

What anemone to get?

FishFreak77

I was thinking of getting an anemone for my tank. I have a 30g that is 12 inches deep and has 6w/gallon of power compact lighting(actinic and white). I was thinking either a RBT, mini-carpet,or rock anemone. I have a few questions:

1) Can I keep other corals with an anemone?

2) Is it true that clownfish get alot more aggressive when they have an anemone to "protect"?

3) Will it eat my fish?

4) Do they fowl your tank when they die?

5) Are they easy to keep as long as they are fed and have enough lighting?

6) Are they super sensitive to water quality?

Thank you for your help and I would appreciate some past experiences if possible.

By the way, I know that a clown will probably not host a rock anemone.

ive been looking into anemones too and so far ive heard that the bubble tip is the best to get.

ill try my best to help out, but im no experienced pro with them

1.yes but you gotta watch to make sure the anemone doesnt sting them, itll wander around for a few days to find itself a good home in good lighting and medium flow, and once it does i guess position your corals according to where its made home.

2.yes definitely if its a female or a pair, shes got it in her mind to protect both her new protective home and her man, and the male tends for the anemone (they both do but male more)- from wilkersons 'clownfishes'- also if youre asking for your other fishes sake once they have a host they dont tend to wander off too far from it, so the clown isnt going to go looking for a fight with other fish but if one happens to come into the clowns territory then it might get mad and attack.

3. i have no idea, if its hungry? i would assume if you keep it well fed than it wont bother fish, dont rely on the clown to do it tho, hand feed it regularly like once to three times a week ive heard are all good amounts.

4.Not very much no, at least i read in another thread. they arent as bad as people say to your tank when they die. as long as you do a good water change and skim if its died it should be ok

5.i think so

6.dont know much about this, but once you have one its good to maintain the water temp very close, try not to let it fluctuate much

hth

1) Can I keep other corals with an anemone?

2) Is it true that clownfish get alot more aggressive when they have an anemone to "protect"?

3) Will it eat my fish?

4) Do they fowl your tank when they die?

5) Are they easy to keep as long as they are fed and have enough lighting?

6) Are they super sensitive to water quality?

1. yes just not touching it

2. somewhat. especially maroons.. but my perc hasnt gotten aggresive

3. doubt it, unless they are already dieing or if you have a carpet anem.

4.everything fowls your tank when it dies and unfortunatly these do major damage when they die IMO

5. no water quality and stability has alot to do with it

6. yes

BTA is your best bet.. keep nitrates < or = to 5

For all anemones you need 0 nitrates, however I agree with FF218 that BTA's could tolerate up to the 5 ppm range. Anemone's belonging to the genus stichodactyla (excluding s. tapetum) will most likely eat your fish but bta's typically won't.

BTW clowns won't host in a rock anemone or a mini-carpet

I have my bta under 96 watt pc lighting in my 16 gallon and it has been fine for six months, but I'm upgrading to metal halide this christmas.

Archived