Pod Your Reef

RIP Duster

Amazon

We lost our Hawaiian feather duster last night. It had been in the tank for about two weeks. Late last night we saw it coming part way out of it's tube, exposing about a half inch of worm. Then, this morning it was out of its tube on the sand, dead.

It was very thin/flat. Could it have been malnourished? We feed phyto every third day. We were told by many that 2 x a week was plenty for our small tank. I would hate to think we starved the poor thing. Or perhaps it was all ready on its way out when we brought it home...?

I love the dusters, but do not want to get another one if they are hard to keep and have a low success rate.

Does anyone have any idea as to the cause of death?? Did we do something wrong?

Our water parameters are:

ammonia 0

nitrite 0

nitrate 0

PH 8.1

Calc 400

Alk 10

Temp 78

Thanks

I have never heard of a duster coming completely out of its tube and killing itself. That is very odd. I think that 2x a week with phyto would be enough for a duster. Was anything pestering it?

i have always thought feather dusters were the easiest thing to keep. i have a colony of atleast 20 small feather dusters and they've survived my 4 week cycle with nirate peeking at 25. your water parameters seem to be okay, just make sure you keep nitrate levels below 20.

im pretty darn sure they dont require supplemental feedings; as ive never fed mine before (EVER).

i sure hope you didnt throw the crown away because feather dusters are known to "throw" their crowns when stressed, but they usually regrow their tubes within a few weeks. (ive actually seen it happen before in my tank a few times)

http://www.qeok.com/fish/516-qeok.html

Hope this helps !!

Also arrow crabs and some fishies are known to pick at the crown so BEWARE !! Other than that they are eaaaaasy as hell to keep. basically maitenence free.

Archived