Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Touching

XtremeSport

XtremeSport

May sound dumb but, is it bad to touch the live rock, when placing or moveing in the tank. I know certain corals can sting, but what is safe to touch? Does anyone use gloves or tongs?

If you're afraid of touching the rock, use rubber dishwasher gloves...

Most things that might prick you do just that.. a minor prick.. I haven't had any problems so far.. but what I *DO* use is my 3 foot long tong (hah! and you thought I was gonna be naughty!)... they allow me to get down into the tank to grab stuff without getting my hands wet (I try to keep my hands out as much as I can).. flip over snails or knocking over hermits pestering a coral.. retreiving the rock I attach seaweed to.. one of the best investments I bought..

Yeah, you might want to avoid touching it as much as possible. I don't think it will do anything bad to the rock if you touch it, but like Xavier said, there can be some nasties in there.

I had a bristle from a bristle worm stuck in my finger after rearranging my tank, and that was NO fun. Also, there could be things like mantis shrimp, or unseen urchins (maybe in a big tank). Some urchins can be pretty nasty.

And always wash your hands AFTER you touch anything in your tank. If the back of your hand squishes some zoanthids, you don't want to go rubbing your eyes afterward.X)

Archived