Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Yet another "office" Picotope...

shurley02

Hello all,

My collegue at work had been talking about reefing for a while and I decided to take a stab at it. So I bought a JBJ Picotope, (yeah, I know, pico for first reef!?) and started it up around the end of september. Started out with the sand, LR, A few weeks later the cleanup crew, and then slowly started adding coral. I have all sorts of stuff. Here are some pics from 4 weeks ago:

http://www.shurley.net/thumbnails.php?album=36

Not very artistic with the rock, it's just a learning tool! So, everything seems to be going great, no tank crashes. The stock lighting is working out fine, but I want it to be brighter, for me. Not necessarrily the corals. The Current Satallite 12" 1x18 seems to be the ticket. What kind of feet would work the best? Should I even mess with upgrading the lighting? I'm worried about evaporation and overpowering the corals.

I have heard people using AC20's to AC110's for filtration, using them as "Fuges". I saw one post here about someone using an AC70 and creating a surface skimmer with some pvc that looked kind of cool. Are there any other surface skimming ideas for the Picotope? I seem to have a lot of surface scum. What about the CPR CS50 Overflow Box? It seems like it would fit, but I don't know how they work really. It looks like it works like an overflow, but then pulls with siphoning and then you need a fuge for it to dump to. Looks like it would pull too much!

I just "phishing" for feedback, and see if I get any "noob" flames! :P

Thanks,

Shurley

Your tank seems to be doing great to me. You will need to give the clown a larger tank though ;) Other than that, I'd say you have done great so far.

BTW, welcome to nano-reef.

yeah, I figured he would grow out of that tank. That's why I started a 12g nanocube at home. :) This one was doing so good, I'll thought I would go a little bigger. That clown has such a personality!!! I've never seen a fish lay down like that b4. All he needs is a pillow.

Your tank seems to be doing great to me. You will need to give the clown a larger tank though ;) Other than that, I'd say you have done great so far.

BTW, welcome to nano-reef.

The tank looks really nice.

Overflows are used to drain water from the main tank down into a sump or refugium. Which isn't needed for this size tank. The way to break up the surface film is to either use a surface skimmer which can be hooked up to a filter or by using a powerhead pointed at the surface for agitation. You will have to DIY a surface skimmer because the only ones I know of are made for AquaClear filters and would probably be too big for your tank. There are a few people who use a AquaClear 70 for a refugium but you will have to reduce the flow. Here is a thread where someone turned a AquaClear 70 into a refugium:

http://www.nanotank.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1307

I think this person used this same fuge on his 2.5g tank but I'm not sure.

For lighting if the stock light fixture you have right now is working then why change? However you could replace the stock 9w with the 18w Current Satellite fixture which would give you better growth and would illuminate the tank better.

I also agree with the above post. The Clownfish and possibly even the Fire Shrimp will need to be moved to a larger tank.

Good luck with your tank and keep us updated.

I just put a ac 50 on my 10g, without modding it. All I did was add chaeto to the basket and put a 25watt screw in pc daylight bulb over it. I set the flow setting on low but I felt no need to mod it at all. The flow coming out of the ac helps break up surface skum, plus uses up nutrients.

Thanks for the input. I ended up buying a Current Satellite 18watt. It was exactally what I was looking for. I like the built in moon light, but I wish it was blue. I might change out the LED for a blue one, other than that, it works out perfect. Nanotuners had them on sale for 30 bucks shipped!! :D

My collegues told me that the shock of the new light would cause the corals to "react", and they were right. The mushrooms closed up and the Zenia got all mad. But, everything else seemed ok.

I think I might go for the AC50, and change out the impeller. I have some cheto in the tank itself, but I'll move it to the AC, along with the heater. My main consern is the surface skum. If the AC50 doesn't agitate the water enough, I'll go with a small powerhead.

BTY, thank you all for being supportive and helpful. I have heard that forums are filled with know-it-alls and such, and I have so far found the opposite. Again, thank you for your input and kind words.

I'll post some new pics soon.

Shurley

Archived