Top Shelf Aquatics

When to throw in the cleanup crew

Mmorse

Hey, just got my LR for my 20g saturday, 10 lbs florida aquacultured and 12 lbs of fiji. The question is when should I add my cleanup crew. I know the tank has to cycle and all. I just want to make sure to add them before the cyanno takes over the whole tank and makes it really ugly, or is this bound to happen anyway? Also I hear a lot of people say to avoid hermits because they will eat the caraline is this true? Any suggestions for the crew? what to add? how many to add? thanks for the help

should I add something to spark the cycle or will it be just fine on its own. I added the the 22 lbs of live rock on saturday and I dont know how much decay happened in the hour it took it to get home and in the tank.

If you want to jump start the cycle, add a piece of small raw shrimp or pee-pee in your tank. DON'T pee in your tank, unless you really want to.

I will tell you right now and I know everyone has a different opinion but I am just at the end of my cycle period and and I am really starting to get an algae bloom, I cannot tell if its in the early stages of Cyano or if its Diatoms but I added 3 red legged hermits and 2 snails and those hermits started to much on all the algae as soon as I added them. When I came back to the tank the next morning a good portion of the rock was almost totally clear of the algae but the sh*t grows so fast that thhey cant handle it. I will get the full cleanup crew soon, was a test to see how the crabs would do in my tank.. but all I have to say is cleaning machines they are.

right now im just running a power filter with nothing in it for circulation during my cycle. Does anybody think that I should add carbon or a sponge in the filter? The surface of the water is not perfectly clear there seems to be a bit of something on the top. Its not a film and its not scum like it almost looks like dust

Archived