Innovative Marine Aquariums

Coverting a 55 gallon to a salt

Michael Birchell

Michael Birchell

Hey guys,

I will be converting one of my 55 gallon tanks to a salt in the up comming weeks, and I would like to know if I could use some limestone rock as base rock, and put live rock over it to seed it?? I live on a limestone hill, and have this stuff everywhere. I currently have the tank set up as a rift valley tank with lime stone, and it keeps the ph around 8.2 with no additives. I am hopping to keep the cost of live rock down, ill just cycle the tank slower. I also have about 15 lbs of crushed coral in my 15 gallon nano, that has been running for almost a year. Can I put this under the live sand in the 55? I would like to keep all the live stuff I can. All the live rock, about 20 lbs, will be going in the tank too. Any info would be great, thanks for your time,

Michael

Michael Birchell

Thanks,

I was leaning towards not using the crushed coral. It is just that is it full of worms, and has been running for a while. I mite make a spot in the back of the tank and put live rock around it, and use it to seed my new sand bed then take out what I can.

Archived