Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Need Advice

viktory

I have a 6 gallon eclipse system with 7 lbs of LR. The tank has been cycling for 3 months now. I had a Green Chromis and a Percula Clown, that died last week. I check the water and everything was were it was supposted to be. The clown had some flacky white stuff on his side before dying. THe store said it was fungus and any fish that I put into my nano will only last the most 3 months.

Is this true? What fish or combination of fish should i get?

Right now my live stock includes:

Cleaner shrimp

Sand Shifter Starfish

3 turbo snails

Button and Star Polpys

SeaMountain

3 months to CYCLE? ???

Seems kind of a long cycle time there vik! Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates yet? What are the readings? What SG are you maintaining? Water Temp? Etc.?

Did you ever check them during the 3 month cycle?

As far as white fungus, it could be a number of things from Ick on.

Take what the LFS says with a grain of salt. Otherwise you'll soon be running from Fighting Conchs. Apparently they shoot poisonous darts form their snouts - according to one LFS! :D

Anyhow. Roll out some meaningful tank specs and I'm sure one of the finer nano-reefers will jump in! B)

Well, lets see. The think in a 6G you are looking at one fish unless you get a couple citron or neon gobies. With good husbandry an appropriate fish should be able to live much more than a few months in that tank.

If the stuff on the fish was white and fuzzy, it probably was a fungus.

With the cleaner shrimp already in there you may consider NO fish, as the shrimp will require feeding a plenty.

The sand sifting star WILL starve in your tank, considering the tanks age, I'm amazed it hasn't already.

Turbos are really too large for such a small tank, I'd go with something less obtrusive like Astrea, Nerita, Cerithium, Trochus....whatever.

Archived