Top Shelf Aquatics

Automatic Top-Off Question

Alynn

Okay... I haven't set up a tank yet, but I'm in the planning stages for my first reef tank. Problem is that I travel once in a while - sometimes gone for a week or two at a time. No problem for my freshwater tanks - just put an automatic feeder on them and it's all good. However, I have been told - and my logic seems to confirm this - that saltwater tanks are significantly more sensitive to water evaporation, which affects the concentration of everything in the water.

So... I've heard of auto top-off switches. People mention having them, I've seen some floater-type switches for sale, but I've never found an explanation for how to set one up so that my tank level will remain constant. For example, I need a good switch that won't get stuck, but how do I hook that into a source of top-off water?

Would some kind soul either explain it here or gift me with a link to a clear explanation? I'm not much for do-it-yourself, but I can manage with a good set of instructions.

Thanks!

i use auto topup, sorry i will use, the easier thing to do would be, the tub that holds the water for topup, use a tub that is less than the volume remaining in your tank, so it doesn't overfill if the switch fails, just means you have to keep an eye on it say every fortnight.

This is most important to bear in mind as a failed float switch and a tub too big for the tank will lead to the obvious.

Unfortunately, my auto topup is a tunze one and bought as a system, so i cant really help with the wiring etc. for yours.

good luck

lee

:) :) :) :)

Archived