The Velvet Sea

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
The Velvet Sea
updates?????

Well, the tank has been doing great! In a way too great. Coral overgrowth. The original 3 head hammer coral was fragged and I kept one head for myself which has now grown to about 6 heads and takes up just as much space as in the current FTS on the first page. Takes up too much space in my nano.

The green capricornus has started to shade everything down below it, so I'll be forced to frag it soon. My zoanthids and green star polyps have gone nuts and what I'm about to tell you may shock you. The zoanthids had been spreading so fast, growing everywhere, over everything. Over and all around my montipora at a rate that I did not expect. Considering how fast the zoanthids and gsp spread, I am very much regretting putting them into my tank. I'm actually in the process of correcting that though. I took a pretty large risk and introduced some nudis that are eating away my zoanthids. Here's to hoping that they don't eat anything else after they are done with the zoanthids!

I have a Cyphastrea frag that came on a round frag disc. I'm amazed by how fast this coral is encrusting all over the rock that I placed that frag disc on. I think this coral would be an outstanding candidate for propagation since it encrusts so fast. It also grows massively, but at a drastically slower rate. I could imagine getting a small field of it growing on those tiny tiles you can buy in sheets at home depot/lowes.

The candy cane had gotten so big, part of it had become shaded. So I fragged it in half so I could reposition it to get better lighting. I'm planning to give one half along with my remaining hammer coral to a friend.

Still only have those two ORA hybrid Pseudochromis. I think a minimal fish population and careful feeding has really been the main factor behind my tank's success.

I'll try to get some pictures, but honestly closed up zoanthids being eaten all over the tank does not make the most photogenic setting.

• 6 months later...
The Velvet Sea

I have some sad news about my tank to share. Along with many people, I underestimated the impact Hurricane Ike would have on Galveston Island, Texas (my home). Category 2, been through those before. No big deal. Well, Ike was very different. I had approximately 3feet of flood waters on the ground level which thankfully is only storage and caused very minimal damages. 3 weeks without power resulted in a 100% loss of life for the nano though. I broke the tank down and it isn't setup anymore. Hopefully I'll get back to it in time. :tears:

• 8 months later...
The Velvet Sea

Well this tank has been reincarnated. After being down nearly a year after a complete loss to Hurricane Ike, I've set my nano back up. I kept my rock from before, but it is completely dead. I'm not too concerned, all nuisance algae (mostly the bubble algae I fought) is gone. No risk of aiptasia or anything like that. Total lack of any beneficial biodiversity, but the bacterial populations will regrow and that is the most important thing. If I don't see any calcareous algae growing after a few months I may seed that with a few pieces of rubble from a friend's tank.

I'm trying a few things differently this time. Going bare bottom. I bought a cutting board and shaped it with my dremel to fit the bottom. I like the looks. The color of the board makes it look more natural than I expected. Not as nice as sand, but it is ok. Once it gets calcareous algae on it I imagine it will look great. I'm also going fishless this time. Other than dosing 2 part calcium supplementation and water changes, I don't want to add any foods or nutrients to the tank.

One thing that frustrated me, rockscaping a bare bottom tank is much more difficult than a sand bottom. I'll probably re-scape the tank several times in the next few weeks. In my opinion, that is one of the most important parts of building an aesthetically pleasing tank.

I plan to stock the tank with cultured frags only. Nothing directly from the wild. Probably several sps. I want to try some more acropora. I had great success with montipora and millepora last go so I think I can handle it. Maybe some kinda lps for the lower section, chalice, acan, or favia.

Archived