SaltCritters.com

What's my next coral?

duckhuntboy

duckhuntboy

Here's a picture of my tank:

tank1.jpg

It's under 26 watts of PC; 13 watt 10k and 13 watt 50/50 bulbs.

It's a minibow 7, with 100 g/h powerhead, and a whisper HOB with no media.

I am looking for some advice on what I should add. This pic is a little outdated. Since then, I've got 3 zoo frags from thelogicalreef.com. I've also added a false percula clown. They are all doing really well, and my coralline is finally growing well.

You can see my new corals at www.kyleandjesynasreef.com

I was just looking for some suggestions for my next corals. Preferrably soft corals or polyps, since I'm pretty new to the game. I was thinking of trying to get my clown to host in some frogspawn or torch coral or something, but I wanted my next order to contain about three or four corals. Does anyone have any suggestions on a colorful, medium or low light coral that would look good in my tank?

Post Script: I've also removed all that ###### on the top of my live rock since the picture, so it looks a lot cleaner that it looks in the picture, and there's plenty of room for expansion.

i think that you should next try to find a good healthy loking shroom to add they always make the tank look well more SHROOMY.

p.s like the Zoo's :)

Agreed. When you're done with buttons go with shrooms. Or better yet, green star polyps. I don't know what it is with me and green star polyps. But, EVERY reef should have them in my opinion. If they do well, you may want to think about throwing a colt or leather in there.

John

freakaccident

Xenia is super easy to keep.

Every green star polyp frag I have gotten has died. Everything else in my tank has done wonderfully. Wish I knew why.

duckhuntboy

I tried to get some free xenia frags the other day from a guy on the forums here, and by mistake, he sent them second day air. When they got here, they were goners, and I kissed my $40 I sent him goodbye. I am pretty ####ed that didn't work out, but I could try that again. I also wouldn't mind a really attractive mushroom as well. Anything but a brown one. Keep the suggestions coming!

freakaccident

When I get my Xenia grown big enough to cut again I will stick it to some rubble and send you some if you want. You pay for shipping. I have two types of Xenia. One is more pink and one is more brownish. The pink one also seems to grow longer and the brown one grows outward more. Both pulse nicely. The pink one will be able to be cut in a couple of weeks. The brown one is going to be a month or so. It has hundreds of sprouting babies.

duckhuntboy

Well, I just won myself a "failure to yield at a crosswalk" citation today.... So maybe these plans are going to be on hold for a small amount of time.... At least it gives me more time to plan....

duckhuntboy

What are your suggestions on a coral for my clown to host? Once again, my specs: 26 watts PC with one 50/50 and one 10k. 7 gallon minibow.

I was wondering about past experiences with frogspawn or torch corals.... Can I handle them in my tank, or should I avoid them? I was thinking about skipping the coral purchase for a while, and upgrading to a 32 watt 50/50 PC light. What do you all think?

The lighting you have already should be sufficient. Upgrading lighting, in most cases is always desirable. But you should be able to keep a small LPS frag in your tank with success.

Mushrooms are a good bet and it sounds like you're into them. If you have some good local saltwater shops, keep an eye out for really bright colored shrooms. Some of the shrooms I've seen are awe-inspiring. Considering when I first got into the hobby it was common to have flat brown or purple shrooms. Ughhh... Now you see all kinds of colors. Same with zoanthids (button polyps).

The first coral I bought for my new tank are zoanthids. So, far, so good. Lots of orange, purple, pink and, of course, green colors from these little guys. Now I just hope they spread to the surrounding rock and really fill in the bare spots.

Nice thing about buttons is they usually end up in the 'cheap' bin at the local reef shops. I picked up 4 or 5 very nice zo rocks for 15 dollars at the local reef shop. Once I take the time to get the pics off of my digital camera you can see them. :)

John

freakaccident

Zoos are cool. I got lucky. I bought a live rock from the LFS that looked to cool to pass up. It had more life on it than any LR I had ever seen. It had brown seaweed growing on it. Small SPS coral buds popping up and tons of coraline. To my surprise some brown zoos popped up. Well now that one of them has grown it isn't brown. It is neon green in the middle with brown on the outside edge.

Archived