ReefCleaners.org

3gl deco art aquarium by Toms Aquaria

goingnatural

Does anyone have this tank? I am either going to get it or a JBJ 3gl. I want to get the back drilled for an overflow to a sump amd was wondering if anyone has done this.

Does anyone have this tank? I am either going to get it or a JBJ 3gl. I want to get the back drilled for an overflow to a sump amd was wondering if anyone has done this.

OK. Guess not. Well, anyway, I plan on getting one of the two as a Christmas present (I'm at that age where I get asked straight out what I want) and plan on tying it in with the fuge for my 20 cube. That way I won't have temp or cycle problems. I believe both come with an 18wt 50/50 PC but I will probably upgrade to a 24wt.

I am at a loss as to what to keep in it. I have been thinking GBTA and a clownfish. Might be too small though. Maybe a pistol shrimp and goby.

OK. Guess not. Well, anyway, I plan on getting one of the two as a Christmas present (I'm at that age where I get asked straight out what I want) and plan on tying it in with the fuge for my 20 cube. That way I won't have temp or cycle problems. I believe both come with an 18wt 50/50 PC but I will probably upgrade to a 24wt.

I am at a loss as to what to keep in it. I have been thinking GBTA and a clownfish. Might be too small though. Maybe a pistol shrimp and goby.

No fish in anything under 5 gallons...When you pack it out with coral there wont be much room at all for the fish to swim. Maybe if anything a small yellow goby...

Alot of people here have those tanks I dont think anyone has drilled a sump to it though..

I have a 2.5 Gal Minibow and I love it... It was $25 from Walmart and I put in a 20w Coralife 50/50 screw in bulb...Check out the tank in my sig..

If I am not mistaken the JBL Picotope comes with a 9w light, the Toms a 18w. If you are going to upgrade the lighting anyway the JBL is cheaper initally.

IMO JBL missed having a great product by saddling it with such a weenie of a light.

No fish in anything under 5 gallons...When you pack it out with coral there wont be much room at all for the fish to swim. Maybe if anything a small yellow goby...

Alot of people here have those tanks I dont think anyone has drilled a sump to it though..

I have a 2.5 Gal Minibow and I love it... It was $25 from Walmart and I put in a 20w Coralife 50/50 screw in bulb...Check out the tank in my sig..

Actually I was planning more on drilling it to be fed by the main tank. It fould be a small extention of the 20 cube so it will be well cycled with constant temps and PH as the cube is. The cube runs at 78F constant with temp controled fans and heater, PH at 8.4 day /night thanks to 24/7 fuge and top-off RO/DI kalk. No undesirable algae of any kind since set-up in Aug. so I think it will just be a matter of finding something to go in tank.

I have 2 pairs of Yellow watchman/Tiger pistols in the 20 cube cohabitating peacefully. I have a great interest in these and think a small goby and pistol would do well in a 3gl. with DSB. I will probably add a piece of rock and a few shrooms and zoas.

I will probably go the Deco Art which is acrylic so now I have to find a way of getting it drilled for a 1/2" bulkhead.

What filteration do you have on the 2.5, the AC 30? Nice tank BTW. Any recient pics?

If I am not mistaken the JBL Picotope comes with a 9w light, the Toms a 18w. If you are going to upgrade the lighting anyway the JBL is cheaper initally.

IMO JBL missed having a great product by saddling it with such a weenie of a light.

Yes, you are right. It is glass though I am pretty sure, but I think the 18wt would be better and it will be my first acrylic tank. I am just afraid of scratching which I do a good enough job with glass tanks.

The JBJ Picotope is 3 gal, glass, 13 watt lighting w/ballast. The TOM can be either 2 or 3 gal, acrylic (which i don't much care for), 18 watt lighting w/no ballast. The TOM filter twice as good as the JBJ. I used to have a TOM, but the tank broke. So i bought a Picotope and used my old TOM light and filter on it.

Archived