Coral Vue Hydros

What I want to do is....

chele

Hi.. Of course I'm new here and I have a million questions... What I'd like to do is throw my plan to you guys and let you all critique it.. Tell me if you think it'll work or if you think I'm nuts!!! :woot:

29g

200w lighting (question re: lighting posted in lighting section)

2 lg Power Heads

No filter/sump/refugium

30-50# Live Rock

4-5" Live Sand Bed

1- Bulb-Tipped Anemone

2- Yellow Stripped Maroon Clowns (lg tank ready for when they get too big)

5- Astrea snails

1- Blood Shrimp

Assorted soft and/or stony corals (as yet to be decided)

2 to 4 other small fish that will not out grow tank

Any Suggestions on what type of fish or corals that will do well in this section will be greatly appreciated!!!B)

Well, there it is... Please... Be gentle..

Tanks,

Chele

BTW: I have previous experience in African and SA/CA Cichlids, assorted FW tropical fish. I currently have 1-55g SW tank cycling which will be FOWLR and a 10g nano-reef experiment going (never put a Picasso Trigger in with an anemone!!! My anemone died a horrible death today!!! :*( )

Hmmm your sand bed seems a bit deep. Unless that's the kind of thing you're shooting for. I would suggest going with a 2 inch sand bet at most. Better yet, a bare-bottom tank. But, if you're like me, you like to see sand on the bottom of your reef aquarium. :)

I would get more snails. Go for a variety. 1 snail per gallon maximum is the number I've always shot for. In my new nano, I'm keeping Trochus, Astrea and Turbos. I like big snails. :) Some people shy away from Turbos. But, I find that they really do good work. Even if they do leave some pretty impressive droppings. For snails anyway. :) (Oh dear, now you all know that I'm paying attention to my snail's droppings) Introduce your snails as early as possible. (right after your tank cycles)

I notice you don't have a protein skimmer in your plans. To me, these nifty little devices are essential. Unless you're extremely devoted to water changes. Think about an inexpensive hang-on-back protein skimmer like a CPR Bakpak or AquaC Remora.

For fish, my favorite has always been the common chromis. Sure, they're plain looking compared to other saltwater fish but to me that's what makes them beautiful. To each their own.

Hmmm corals. Well, with that kind of lighting you could keep just about anything you want.

As for the anemone. Be careful. They like to move around until they find a spot they like. If it were me, after the clean-up crew the first thing I would add to the tank is the anemone. Then I would wait until it settles into a spot it's going to stay. After that, I would start adding corals.

Have fun. :)

John

Thanks XWhite,

The sand bed depth.. Well, I like seeing the sand and I've seen several places recommend having a 4" deep bed for filtration and for the amount of nutrients it leaches.. Also it will raise the bottom of the tank up more towards the light so I'll be less likely to have dead spots..

As for a protein skimmer... I've seen many sites recommend not having one, as a matter of fact no filter at all, just power heads. I do water changes on all of my tanks at least once a week, so I think that will make up for not having one.. Of course if that doesn't do the trick I can always buy one later..

Turbo snails?? I've heard they can get big enough to knock over corals!!! I guess I can always add a few more astrea snails.. But I'm looking for another type of cleanup crew.. To be quite honest I think snails are ugly!!! The little buggers remind me of ticks!!! And they kinda give me the willy's!! I guess everyone has their quirks.. I just have more than my share ;)

Anemone first??? My thoughts exactly as I want to build my tank around him and the clowns... Thanks..

Much Appreciate the Advice!!! Keep It Coming!!!

CheleB)

Greetings chele, sorry to hear about your illness - reefluenza. The bad news is - its incurable. The good news is - we have it too.

I'm with Xwhite regarding the sand bed - keep in mind there are many roads that lead to Rome. If someone running 4 to 5 inches in a tank similar to your size has had success - then go for it. Personally I think 2 to 3 would be more aescetic and still functional for sand bed critters (maybe not denitrification).

My biggest advice is proceed S...L...O...W...L...Y. Make sure you are completely run-in and stable before you take a crack at SPS or acroporids in particular (several months). I think the anemone and clowns are a good start for run-in, and maybe some of those sea ticks you dislike. Let the tank stabilize after adding the LR and sand - well I'll assume you know about cycling. If not - ask. Just remember, you lose nothing by waiting a few extra weeks between the stages of increasing your bio-load. If you move too quickly, the system can crash and you lose your beautiful animals, or end up with a green flowing carpet of algae, or a red blanket of cynobacter. You will know within a few months if you have a nutrient problem. At that point you can add a skimmer, or take other appropriate action.

Keep us posted

I'm starting S---L---O---W---L---Y not to worry.. Starting with my light as a matter of fact.. Finally found a 30" light w/2 65w bulbs.. One 10k and one ultra actinic for 118$us.. Figure that should be enough for my needs... Then I'll get the tank.. Still torn between a 20L and a 29.. Have a dual stand that will hold either so its real iffy which way I'll go..

Then will be the LS and LR.. WOOHOO!!! I found a LFS that sells nice LR for 3$us per LB!!! Sweet! The sand depth will end up being whatever looks best...

Got another question: Is a condylactus safe to keep in a nano?? or will it sting and kill everyone??

Tanks,

CHele

Hehe, I disagree with a couple things Xwhite said.

I think a deep sandbed is always a good thing.

And I don't think a protein skimmer is absolutely nescessary. Then again, I didnt have fish in my tank for 1.5 months. More fish = more mess. OK, maybe he's right.:

I was having the same dilemma over which size tank to get. I have the same light too. I opted for the 29 gallon. My main concern was getting enough light to the corals. Actually, I'm glad I got the taller tank. It gives more swimming room, more room for the corals to grow up, and my corals are not suffering from lack of light in any way.

If you plan on keeping a bunch of messy 'ole fish, you should also seriously consider a refugium. I'm using a CPR hang-on-back one that seems to be doing a good job.

Gotta ask...

What purpose does a refugium serve? and why do you think I'll need one? I've seen em mentioned bunches of times.. but no where have I seen what they are good for... ??? Guess I've just not looked in the right place yet...

Tanks,

Chele B)

Well, from what I've gathered, refugiums do two things for you. Macro algae consume DOCs/Nitrate/Phosphate in the water column. Effectively taking the place of a protein skimmer. Also, it provides a place where the copepod population can flourish without predation.

Other than that, I don't know. My roommate keeps a freshwater planted tank. He just realized that, over time, the PH in his tank rises because of photosynthesis. CO2 in the water column is consumed and replaced with Oxygen. As a result the PH rises over time. So, it helps maintain a higher PH as well? Just a guess.

As for the sandbed, it's pure personal preference. With my new tank, I have a 2 inch sand bed.

John

Hey chele,

"3$us per LB!!! Sweet!"

I'll say! I see that you are in Ky, where is this LFS??

I live in Northern Kentucky near Cincinnati.

winter

Winter,

You must go to Aquatics and Exotics in Cinnci... Love that store.. Just drove up there yesterday.. 4hrs round trip including shopping!!!

The shop here is Sandy's Pet Shop on Poplar Level Rd. Mind you their 3$/lb is uncured and not the best... But there rocks are in 4 price quality stages... 3$,4$,5$ and 7$(super-premium unleaded I guess :D )... Live stock here is pretty cheap compared to cinnci.. But not as wide a variety and most of the shops here swear that "They don't make 36w PC bulbs" (moroons, telling me that while I'm sitting here with one in my hand!! hence the trip to cinnci!)

Chele

I don't know. My Via Aqua supposedly runs 36 watt PC lights. But, I really think they're 32 watt lights. Don't know how we'd test our lights to see how they match up against a supposed 32 watt light.

John

Archived