Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

What on a 29g??

chele

HI.. New here and like most, I have a million questions... I guess the biggest and most important is what type and how much light do I need for a 29g??

What I'm wanting is to do a nano-reef in this 29g.. Live rock, soft corals, a few anemones and a couple of small fish... But I have no clue how much light or what type of light I need.. This is what I was thinking of doing:

1-30" black hood

1(or 2)-10,000k bulb (thinking of 2-100w Metal Halides at opposing ends)

1- Ultra Actinic light

I want to make sure I have enough light to reach the bottom of the tank, high enough wattage for everything to grow, and not so much that everything at the top gets bleached...

So, does this sound like a good plan?? What if anything about it do I need to change?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Tanks,

Chele

Hey chele,

My rec for a 29 would be a single 175W 10000K MH and 2 NO flourescents @ 20W each (2 actinics/1 day and 1 actinic), or VHO if your pocketbook allows. I'm just considering heat issues in a canopy over a 29 gallon if using 2 MH bulbs. There are many other options - hopefully you will get some recommendations from folks who have experience with other components.

Palaegic,

Thanks for the advice.. As much as I like the shimmer of MH, I have decided to go with a pre-made light for sale I found search the internet til the wee hours of the morning...

What I decided on is a PC 2 65w bulbs. 1 10k and one Ultra Actinic.. That'll give me 4.5 w/G with a 29g or 6.5w/G with a 20L.. Cost 118$us.. Not bad eh? Now if only I can decide what size tank to go with...

Tanks,

Chele

Archived