SaltCritters.com

Cheap Lighting Idea!!!

Crimper

I just had a good idea for cheap lighting and was wondering if anyone every tried this.

Use a car head lamps for lighting, I know you can get them in many different light specturms, including ones with more blue tinge, I think this would be cheap, all you would need to do, is get the correct wiring harness and make it so that it could plug into the wall.

This would produce more than enough lighting for a nano for sure! And would only be a fraction the cost of a metal halide system.

I hope your not serious. You say they are only a fraction of the cost. Go price those "blue thinge" headlights as you call them. I like to call them xenon headlights, and they cost much more than a metal halide system ever would.

Dude, your not gonna get use the BMW model!!!!! notice how I didnt say xenon!!!!!!

just use the 10 000K, as is standard on must POS vehicles these days

standard headlights are nowhere near 1000k. and who knows what their full spectrum is. those bmw xenon headlights would probably look pretty good though.

if that's the case, i'll have to run out and get a beamer........ so my tank looks good. It'd be easy, just move the tank in the garage, and park your car in front of it......... timer would be when you get home from work.

I've thought the same thing Crimper.

Halogen and halide are the same thing (notice the 'Hal' in common?), but like was said, I think the color spectrum would be wrong. One halogen headlight for $10, an ac to dc converter for $50, and a little wiring ($2) would be pretty cheap compared to the "real halides" as no ballast would be needed.

It does sound funny but I think it's worth a try.

Yeah all the money spent on research by lighting companies (URI, Hamilton, CSL, etc.) is just for fun since car bulbs are the perfect answer to all our reef lighting needs. I'm all for finding cheaper alternatives for this hobby, but come on guys get a clue!

k um. real xenon bulbs would on a tiny tank but der.. you're looking at a good chunk of money. NO those fake $10 bulbs you see on ebay "woo woo weally bwite!" are not the same. again, NOT the same.

(psst. 70w mh)

bottom line:

no it's not cheaper

---

ghetto yo.

not to mention, these things would run hot as hell too... probably same temp as MH or close to .... How could you even think up a idea like this ;)

Aww come on now lets not bash the guy to bad now.

admit it we have all had "bright Ideas" that were stupid as hell but at the time seemed viable to us.

Some of us have even posted thoughts before we actualy researched them as well.

But.... the metal halide being the same as halogen thing is a little drastic. I am not at all sure what temp. a halide bulb makes the actual surface of the glass but.... a halogen is a good bet at around 250 degrees or so.

Not to mention its a totaly different animal all together. :)

Let's keep it real and cut people a little slack. :)

Hey dont worry guys, I know how to take critisim well!

Just wait till ur hear the rest of my ideas, and What I do to my car!!!!

I hung a Yugo from the ceiling and had to retro the lights to fit the xenon bulbs. Then I had to run the exhaust out to the outside (Carbon Monoxide......duh!). Ironically, my fuge fits perfectly in the front seat. Dave, what would a hood cost me?

Crimper, we all have those ideas. Most of us are to Chicken Shiznit to tell anyone.....Kudos to you!

BTW. My wife came home and made me take the Yugo down:*(

It is Ironic that you should mention a Yugo man! When I worked at a loading dock we picked up a Yugo with a hyster forklift and put it inside the warehouse and locked the car in ! The owner was a real ass and had locked us out in the rain on many ocasions! It was so funny !!!!!! We all drove around the block and pretended to go home! He had the forklift out and ready to ram the door when we came back!!!

Bu tI bet I can top you on your car mod's! I once put a 351 windsor in an 78 pinto wagon! Talk about a wheel stander!

Well now that i have just hi-jacked this thread!!!!! LOL thats alll I gota say!!!

my my SaltyDawg you are such a rebel, hyjacking threads with one post. What so ever would Chris say?

I am outraged at your rebel ways!

you scare me.

HAHAHAHA!!!! dave tell me thats not you man!!!! ;)

Nickle : I know I am such a non-conformist! !! LOL :)

At least somone got a luagh!!

Originally posted by AndyL

With a big enough sledgehammer; anything can be made to fit... :) Works for Fishtank lighting too :D

Andy

Hell--when I was in Unc Sam's F'd Up Canoe Club........

we refered to that as a "B.F.H."

and when somethin' wouldn't fit---- we would say go git a BIGGER "B.F.H." !!!!

Tube chassis front end, no inner fender wells, 4-link rear with 9" rear axel and spicer's. square stock steal from tube front to 4link rear under the body after the fire wall. Didnt bend a thing. Cut the trans tunnel and rivited some sheet metal to right shape to fit the tremec. I also recently did a bronco2 2wd with a 302 carburated. Pinto wagon was pushing 504 hp to the rear and the b2 was pushing a mear 340 to the rear with the stock 7.5" rear end. Have pictures of the b2 swap but not the pinto. The pinto was a friends I did for him to take to the track and the B2 was personal ride. If you can fit the heads between the fenders you can put what ever you want in ANYTHING.

Archived