Innovative Marine Aquariums

HELP - Cyanobacteria problem

GabaGhoul

Not sure why but my tank has started to grow some mats of cyano on the sand. Corals are doing well but the cyano is beginning to scare me.

Tank parameters are as good as it gets.

24 gallon AP - replaced standard pump with a Azoo 2500 (660gph)

Circulation - SEIO powerhead

pH - 8.1 - 8.3

Alk - 10.2

Calcium - 430-440

Nitrate - 0-2

PO4 - undetectable

SG - 1.025

Temp - 79 (I use a chiller)

Salt - Tropic Marin Pro

Are there any treatments that are safe on the market or does anyone have any recommendations on a more natural procedure of removing the cyano?

try to syphon that stuff out and do some water changes. a skimmer will help also

i have to get back to you about a product that takes care of it, forgot the name of it

try to syphon that stuff out and do some water changes. a skimmer will help also

i have to get back to you about a product that takes care of it, forgot the name of it

I have a AquaC Remora which pulls tons of gunk and I have siphoned and removed what was there. I also bought some PhosBan but I have not used it yet. I'm wary of using these products because of heard of leaching metals and the such back in the aquarium once saturated. Is there any truth to that? Would you recommend this product?

BTW, I do 6 gallon water changes weekly, blow of the rocks daily, use GAC fulltime, use PuraPads from Magnavore and use BIONIC 2-part additives for alk and calc.

I have a AquaC Remora which pulls tons of gunk and I have siphoned and removed what was there. I also bought some PhosBan but I have not used it yet. I'm wary of using these products because of heard of leaching metals and the such back in the aquarium once saturated. Is there any truth to that? Would you recommend this product?

BTW, I do 6 gallon water changes weekly, blow of the rocks daily, use GAC fulltime, use PuraPads from Magnavore and use BIONIC 2-part additives for alk and calc.

i dont know much about phosban

how long have you had this problem? i used to have the same problem until i turned on my skimmer, cleared in a week

I have been trying to rid my 90g of cyano for the last couple of months using chemiclean and it isnt working...

Any other recommendations then? A procedure, a chemical, magic spell, satanic ritual? :-) Anything? In all seriousnees though, is PhosBan or phosphate control with media recommended generally?

BTW, love your signature. Makes me laugh every time. You can't not laugh at some of those. I think it's impossible.

"Chuck Norris always has sex on the first date. Always."

mybuickskill6979

one 50% waterchange. and every other day another 20% cyano is a result of high levels of nitrate and or phosphate. water change is the easiest way. don't treat the symptoms treat the problem.

Red Slime Away worked great on my aquapod 24.

I had to use it twice as it came back.

I killed all the cyano in my 30, but it kept coming back.

REALLY BAD.

Try a macro algae.

Do a search for $3 basket here.

It's a small suction cup basket from walmart or whereever.

I put it in my 30 with some chaeto I got from my lfs. Put the basket right under my skimmer outpour.

Cuts down the cyano pretty good.

Chemiclean will not work.

Try a phosban.

After MONTHS battling my prob. I tried everythign and read everything.

Cutting the lights down did nothing.

Starving my fish by cutting protien into the tank did NOTHING.

Red Slime Away worked on getting the cyano out for a few days, then BAM back worse than ever.

You need a skimmer AND some macro algae. Just keep cleaning and ...I hate to say this...I think my tank cleaned up because of some balancing act it did on it's own too.

Skimmer, macro and time.

God I hate that damn red slime.

Good luck.

15-and-6-GAL-NANO
one 50% waterchange. and every other day another 20% cyano is a result of high levels of nitrate and or phosphate. water change is the easiest way. don't treat the symptoms treat the problem.

Is the best idea that's mentioned and Chemi-clean does work I had some yesterday and after reading this post I remembered to use some and now most of my cyano is gone...I didn't really have much to begin with but now I have almost none.

Boyd's Chemi-Clean Red Slime Remover worked great for me. Cyano 95% gone in 24 hours and 100% gone in 48 hours. That was a few months ago, no sign of it since. There's other Red Slime Removers out there, don't know if they work or not.

I tried all the other suggestions, more flow, less light, less food before I tried it, nothing worked. I used it as a last resort and wonder why I didn't use it sooner.

If you use it, make sure you follow the directions completely.

• 2 weeks later...
Boyd's Chemi-Clean Red Slime Remover worked great for me. Cyano 95% gone in 24 hours and 100% gone in 48 hours. That was a few months ago, no sign of it since. There's other Red Slime Removers out there, don't know if they work or not.

I tried all the other suggestions, more flow, less light, less food before I tried it, nothing worked. I used it as a last resort and wonder why I didn't use it sooner.

If you use it, make sure you follow the directions completely.

Wow. It's done. Chemi-clean, WC, removing as much cyano as I could and reducing the number of tank feedings did the trick. I'm all good. Thanks for all the help. Now, back to the fun!

Wow. It's done. Chemi-clean, WC, removing as much cyano as I could and reducing the number of tank feedings did the trick. I'm all good. Thanks for all the help. Now, back to the fun!

Glad it worked out for you. :D

Archived