Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Opinions on lobsters?

SeeDemTails

My GF has been buggin me for a lobster for her 37 gal reef. I think they look cool, but have heard mixed things about reef compatability.

Any one have a lobster in a reef, any experiences?

TIA

Billy

There kinda like pistol shrimp in behavour,but I would reccomend getting one.No harm to the reef,I have heard that reef lobsters are filter feeders.

There kinda like pistol shrimp in behavour,but I would reccomend getting one.No harm to the reef,I have heard that reef lobsters are filter feeders.

Okay, pardon my ignorance on salt water lobster, but... dont you need one big a@@ tank to have them in? Eventually they get moster size, right. Are there smaller lobster species?

Tang

Stephen-in-Va
Okay, pardon my ignorance on salt water lobster, but... dont you need one big a@@ tank to have them in? Eventually they get moster size, right. Are there smaller lobster species?

Tang

Yes there are smaller species. Brilliant coloration also. I've only seen 4 or 5 smaller species offered in stores or online but Enoplometopus sp. is definitely my favorite. Gorgeous little crustacean.

Yes there are smaller species. Brilliant coloration also. I've only seen 4 or 5 smaller species offered in stores or online but Enoplometopus sp. is definitely my favorite. Gorgeous little crustacean.

^^^Enoplometopus spp^^^

$12.99 from dr. Mac

L%20reeflobster.jpg

who said lobsters were reef safe? i would never add one, they are even more opportunistic than crabs. depending on which one they will take corals and fish.

who said lobsters were reef safe? i would never add one, they are even more opportunistic than crabs. depending on which one they will take corals and fish.

Cool little critter. Im with EZ on this one. You could certainly try it, but the cons outweigh the pros IMO.

Tang

DementedLullaby

Mmmm lobster.

One of the LFS's has the purple dude around here. If I had a no coral tank I'd get one. Maybe if you feed it A LOT it will behave but that's all down to personality.

gl

I have to agree with all the butter replies, 1-1.5 lb'ers(bigger ones lose the flavor) still hot dipped in butter, unlimited mussels and salad bar on the side. Oh I can't wait for next summers lobster season.

I have never looked into adding on to my tank, especially not the ones from around here. Atlantic Canada - worlds best lobster, yes better than Maine.

i've always had a reef lobster in my tanks. I love them, they only come out at night and are very hardy. never had a problem with it going after fish. But they are damn hard to catch once introduced to ur tank. As long as theres food hitting the tanks bottom when u feed it should keep the lobster happy. Blue reef lobsters are personally my favorite.

Well forget what I said.

I went to my LFS today to watch the lobster and do some other stuff and I saw the crazy thing.It was pure evil!The thing was like the creepy emo cutter freak kid that you knew in school,but this one actually flipes out!it actually grabbed a hold of a maroon clown!(it had a bad day I guess,it was all red!)

They had a cool red/blue one in there show tank but it was completly calm and cool.

Archived