SaltCritters.com

New marine set-up - What shall I do?

Miss Mouse

Hi guys,

been reading here a lot and learning loads - this is a fab site. Basically I need some advice...

I've just set up my 47US Gallon tank with some fine aragonite live sand and so far I've got about £100 worth of live rock(cant remember how much it weighed).

I've got 2 yellow tailed blue damsels and loads of asterina stars, feather duster tube worms and some lovely coraline algae and possibly some baby brittle stars but I haven't seen them in a while. Oh and a few little white snails and a stomatella.

So far no protein skimmer because I'm waiting to get one of those new AquaC's - does anyone have any objections to those? Is there anything that's just as good? I have about £100 to spend on one. I'm a bit clueless when it comes to protein skimmers - there are too many on the market and too many totally mixed reviews on the internet!

I haven't gone RO yet but will in the future.

Tank is set at 72 degrees, it came with a fluval 404 (external filter) and a small 201 powerhead.

My lighting: i have a 30W 36" T-8 white bulb and a 30W 36" blue light. I dont know anything about this side of things - is this good/badly/downright ugly?!

Do I have to get a better hood to get better lighting?

Sorry for the long-winded writing but basically I want to get it right before I make any major mistakes. I want an invert tank with corals etc I like pretty things- not too fussed about a lot of fish although I would like a pair of clowns and some mandarin fish - I love them! :D

I've got a pulsing xenia arriving today so gonna pop that in .. any advice on best way to look after it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Ursey :P

A less expensive skimmer that everyone really seems to like is the Coralife Super Skimmer CSS 65. I'm going to get one of those in the near future. What kind of water are you using if you're not using RO?

A less expensive skimmer that everyone really seems to like is the Coralife Super Skimmer CSS 65. I'm going to get one of those in the near future. What kind of water are you using if you're not using RO?

Thanks - I've not seen them here - not sure if they're available in the UK. Will see if I can get hold of my lfs and see of they can stock some. I use our mains tap water cos its ok but round here in my area its a bit hard so would prefer to use RO but have to save some money together for RO unit and skimmer etc. This is a very expensive hobby! I'm still buying pieces of live rock every month - WHY OH WHY is it £12 a kilo for the good stuff!! :angry:

Thanks - I've not seen them here - not sure if they're available in the UK. Will see if I can get hold of my lfs and see of they can stock some. I use our mains tap water cos its ok but round here in my area its a bit hard so would prefer to use RO but have to save some money together for RO unit and skimmer etc. This is a very expensive hobby! I'm still buying pieces of live rock every month - WHY OH WHY is it £12 a kilo for the good stuff!! :angry:

You're preaching to the choir man, everything in the US is expensive too. Can you buy rock online in your country?

You're preaching to the choir man, everything in the US is expensive too. Can you buy rock online in your country?

I can buy it online but it's even more expensive because the postal service is extortionate. I keep scouring the aquarist classifieds and local paper for local poeple breaking down tanks or selling stuff but I think my region is a bit devoid of civilisation :lol: They only have pigs or sugar beet around here - bless :D

I went to a shop yesterday and they were selling anenomes for £30 - £50 each and then in my favourite lfs they had the same for £15! Madness...

I can't find any Coralifes here so will see if its worth buying from the US..

Cheers for the help and advice!

And can you tell me if my lighting is enough? I have 2x30W bulbs..have a feeling thats pretty useless? And if so how can i get more lighting without having to change the hood too much? Or am I asking too much?? :lol:

Thanks again :)

Archived