Cultivated Reef

marble tile frag plugs

jimbro

For anyone who uses these, do you only use the white ones? the only ones i could find were on a sheet of alternating white and tan 1" squares. Got 'em at lowe's. should i just use the white ones?

Thanks in advance,

Jim

mahi mahi boy

The white ones probably don't have iron in them, that's what E.Hugo Borneman says.

I bought the big squares of 9 for $6 (I can make 9 small squares per tile) Some of mine are tan, which are the more dense tiles, and my white tiles have more cavities.

The white ones probably don't have iron in them, that's what E.Hugo Borneman says.

I bought the big squares of 9 for $6 (I can make 9 small squares per tile) Some of mine are tan, which are the more dense tiles, and my white tiles have more cavities.

Thanks mahi,

so you still use the tan ones, despite the iron content? notice any difference between the two re coral growth, increased algae growth? iron is a major limiting nutrient for algae growth isnt it?

mahi mahi boy
Thanks mahi,

so you still use the tan ones, despite the iron content? notice any difference between the two re coral growth, increased algae growth? iron is a major limiting nutrient for algae growth isnt it?

Sorry..My statement was misleading. The ones I use are tan and some white. I doubt they have iron in them. What I was trying to get across was to stay away from the heavily colored tiles....A way you can tell if they have major mineral impurities in them is if they have veins.....like nice counter top marble....all the different colors are deposits in them and whatever else. :) At least that's what I came away w/ after watching the Borneman frag video.

As for grow, my tank has only been up since Oct 5th.... I'm just following propagators lead w/ the tiles. I have two different zoanthids fragged up on tiles w/ smooth surfaces and ones w/ ruff...I have them on dead coral skeleton and the mucus is spreading on there real good... it's a deep water zoanthid. The main thing I'm noticing is that having the mucus or the tissue touching the tile is important.

Thanks prop,

i did a bunch of fragging last night and used mostly white ones, good to know i can use the others as well.

Your prop tank is sick btw. :blink:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived