inTank Media Baskets

hermit crab stressed?

gsechen

So I buy and put in a scarlet hermit crab. First night his shell gets jacked and swaps with the bullies shell. now he doesn't move anywhere. I place him on a rock and he stays on there, I place on sand and he stays there too. What's wrong with him? I got two other crabs and they are doing fine!

Is he going to die?

Thanks

Well...getting his shell hijacked the first night is not a good thing, but small in comparison to new water/environment shock. If you acclimated, he/she should be fine. Mine is pretty lazy compared to my blue hermits. I may not see it for a few days at a time. Sometimes I find him sitting in same spot for long periods... get worried...then next day he is tearing up the live rock! Test your water, and keep a good amount of empty shells around. He will probably be okay. They are not the most active crabs I have seen in my experience.

ur the first person i've seen worried about hermits ahaha~

scarlett hermit crabs are very lazy, mine chills on one spot, in any position (even upside down for hours at a time.

ur the first person i've seen worried about hermits ahaha~

scarlett hermit crabs are very lazy, mine chills on one spot, in any position (even upside down for hours at a time.

ok haha stupid lazy crab, anyways I got him to change shells with a bigger one by putting it right next to him. He just saw it came out and voila! new home. But he is one lazy guy. I want an electric blue crab... on another note I got hermit crab poop all over my sandbed. ugh.

Archived