inTank Media Baskets

Undersand Filter

jameshetrick

To elaborate a bit.....why in the world do you want to setup an underground filter in a reef? This doesn't suite a reef in any way shape or form and will cause you problems along the way. Could you please tell us a little but more about you are planning to do so we can help you get set up with the proper filters?

Cameron

jameshetrick

Here is what I was told to do buy 2 power heads and a undergravel filter and cover it so that the sand wont go through. I was asking what I should use to cover and or make the undersand filter with. Now I guess my local pet shop is wrong, he has some setup in the store and yes they are reef tanks. But anyway if you say its not a good idea to do that. I guess i'll use the power heads without using the filter.

coralreefengr

Look at this thread to validate why your LFS *may* be wrong.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...46&goto=newpost

There is a plethora of infomation on the internet from people who aren't trying to sell you something. Do your homework and you won't get ripped off. Always go to your LFS knowing what you are going to buy. Do not depend on them to tell you what you need. Not that they are always wrong, but sometimes their advice does not meet the needs of the system you set up. Knowledge is power. (cliche, I know, but it's a cliche for a reason)

the problem with a lfs giving that kind of info or recommendation is that the lfs expects to do periodic teardowns for maintenance and re-aquascaping. whereas the average reef hobbyist doesn't. that is, unless you're one of the HIT (i.e. Hands-In-Tank) variety of hobbyists. :

the best lfs i know of uses ugf's with large substrates. BUT he overhauls his tanks as needed. works for a while and looks great (in his tanks) but he has to redo them and it's a lotta work (in my view).

reefengr has a point on using a plenum setup but since you're just entering the hobby i would suggest a more (currently) mainstream approach. you'll get more feedback and comparisons with a regular sandbed & LR setup. not necessarily a better or worst one tho. hth

I will never again listen to an LFS. You've got to wonder how many of the advice givers there even have tanks at home. The way they maintain their tanks are certainly suitable for caring for corals and fish for the few days it takes to sell their livestock (usually), but longterm care of these animals takes more care.

For the record there's nothing wrong with an undergravel filter...I used one for many years when that was the accepted practive many years ago. Back then we didn't have live sand...just crushed coral beds and it worked great in a FO tank. Many people have been surprised that I kept an anemone and his clown alive for several years and I was using UG filter at the time with no other filtration.

I don't use one now simply because it's hard to get one to work with live sand. There isn't enough space betweeen the sand grains even on top of crushed coral for it to suck stuff through and you just end up sucking the sand through the crushed coral and stopping up the filter.

Times have changed and so has equipment, but if I was going to do a FO tank again I'd probably use one.

I run UGF in my 20 L FRESHWATER tank that has a VERY heavy fush load as well as an old skool Tetra"Black Box" 20-40 HOB filter. the tank has ran flawlessly for 5 years.

Initialy when I got into reefing, my 75 gal had a UGF setup and Dolomite with some CC as substrate.

It failed as a substrate in a reef setting, but for Fish Only with dead rocks where I was able to gravel siphon it once every 2 months, it ran fine. I later converted it to REEF by removing the uplift tubes and taking out 1/2 the substrate and replacing it with Aragonite special grade reef floor, and then 3 weeks later removing the other 1/2 (right side) of the tank and added some pounds of LR. I left the UGF plate in it as a "Semi-Lift Plate" plennumn. While it only provided 1/2 inch at the highest points, it did reduce nitrates quite well, AND while I was conditioning the tank the Up Lifts did remain operational with AIRSTONES, not a PH for some water movement, but that quickly was removed and the uplift holes were capped off and burried under the sand.

UGF have fallen out of favor due to inherent nature of them becomming nutrient sumps that if stirred, can cause major issues with alga blooms.

HTH, Darth.

Archived