Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Clownfish w/ Brooklynellosis

FishHeaded

My clown I bought 2 days ago is still alive but is barley hangin in there. Well it seems as if he has the disease called Brooklynellosis. I've been reading and my ocellaris clown has all the symptoms. He was swimming openly for the first couple of days, then he started to stay in one spot, not eating, and heavy breathing. I have read possible ways of treating it, and I do not currently have a QT, and I've read that nothing comes out of doing fw dips except kill off a some of the parasites. So what should I do? Please help anyone. (BTW I have a 2g hex tank w/air bubble maker, if this can be to use)

-FishHeaded

w/o a QT tank there's not a whole lot you can do to treat the fish since all anti-parasitic products kill invertibrae like, or stress them to some extent.

i'd do a FW dip. if it helps, that will at least allow the fish to regain some vitality and recouperate it's immune system to help fight off the infestation. you can *try* anti-parasitic products that are safe for reefs, but thats up to you. i personally dont think they are completely safe, but many people swear by it.

IMO a QT tank less than 10g is not sufficient to treat and keep a sick fish. so i wouldnt recommend using a 2g. (for one it's a small space and will be difficult to keep oxygenated well enough for medicating. secondly, medications can go by 5-10g increments. dividing medication for a 2 gal may be difficult and easy to OD. )

gl

Archived