inTank Media Baskets

elevated live rock

wingsfan

well i think i'm about to go about setting up my 20, my question is do you prefer to have the live rock sitting on the glass with sand around it for stability,,,,with the sand in first then the rock sitting on top of the sand or do you like to have the rock sit on a stand of some type to keep it up off the glass a little so all the critters can get under it and it wont settle into the sand? just curious what everyone thinks .

harbingerofthefish

personally I would dig the main chunks into the sand as far as you can for overall stability. Critters knock over stuff...it's gonna happen.

Another option for gaining stability is through the use of egg-crate, a thin plastic grid material. Just place the egg-crate on the glass and place your rock on top of the egg-crate, then fill around with substrate. In case you're wondering, you can find egg-crate at Home Depot in the lighting department.

I'd also Like to add that if you have precariously balanced rock it should be adhered. My tank just finished cycling. And I wish I would have done eggcrate originally. If I pull everything out, add the eggcrate, and put everything back in. What do you think it will do to my levels?

Archived