SaltCritters.com

Canister filter?

bdr127

I was wondering what people's opinions were on running a canister filter without the media. This would, of course, eliminate the typical "nitrate factory." I thought that a canister would increase overall tank circulation, and also provide a place to use carbon or phosphate remover, if necessary. Tank is 15H, no mech. filtration, but thinking about that canister setup..... Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks.

--Brad

yep, i don't see why not, no media and just carb and phos remove, sounds cool.

Just a thought, you may want to put some de-mount valves on it, so as when the maintenance comes, you can simply turn it off from the electric, turn ya valves off and disconnect from the system and still keep the syphon.

cheers

lee

:) :) :) :)

Sure that's fine. I have an empty canister running on a larger tank. It's a glorified water pump with plenty of room to run media from time to time. If you have some crappy pieces of LR, you could throw those in the can for some extra filtration too.

If you wanted to get cute you could get one with a higher flow (say 200-350gph) and use a SCWD in the return to give it an alternating current. If you don't want that much water flow you could disperse it out and make the returns into spraybars. I am going to implement this on a 20L SPS/clam tank I'm working on.

the down side about can filters, is that when you have a power out that lasts a long time the bacteria dies causeing a nitrate spike.

So when the power comes back on you pump "dead" water back into the tank.

just another thing to consider.

HTH

Archived