SaltCritters.com

10 gl Nano and cycle

ekudl

Hello All, I have a question about maintaing a 10 Gl nano for filtration. It has just completed cycling after 2.5 weeks. It was started with 3 inches of dead sand and 20 lbs of dead rock. Although I did seed the sand with a cup of Live Sand and a piece of LR from an established tank. I also have a Penquin 170 Biowheel started from the beginning as well.

My question is:

Does anyone think that now that my tank is cycled, (0 Ammonia,

0 Nitrites) I could simply turn off the Penquin Biowheel filter and rely solely on just the 20 Lbs of Rock in the tank ? Would the 20 lbs of rock that has been in the tank from the beginning be "Live" enough to maintain the cycle?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

you might want to do it in stages. i.e. remove the bio-wheel first, wait a week, remove the filter cartridge, wait a week, and then remove the hob completely. altho i would just remove the bio-wheel and stop there.

the staged removal allows your LR/LS to adjust to the addt'l load that won't be processed by the bio-wheel and etc. as you remove it. take out the whole hob at once and you might have a mini-cycle. altho that's not a biggie if there's nothing in there now.

2.5 weeks is a little quick for me but then again i've developed 'forgetful patience'. :P i just let it sit and let my bad memory catchup with me later. the more time you spend now usually pays off later at least two-fold in time and grief. hth

Archived