Top Shelf Aquatics

"Aquascaping"... Is it only ME!?

SeaMountain

SeaMountain

Geez... So I'm sitting here watching my new LR for signs of activity. (Guess I'm half expecting to see some LARGE sea monster loom out of some hole!) :D

And I decide to move things around a bit... you know... see if I can make things "Look better!" :rolleyes:

Now I get LR stacked on top of each other while I work on one side... Don't want to move my LARGE chunk 'cuz it really doesn't seem like it would "fit" somewhere else in there...

Then I realize things are getting worse then when I began! HA! And just like Rubik's Cube, I forget just how things were before I started! So I check my first pic of the tank with the LR, and STILL I can't get things turned just so, so it was all placed like it was before...

"Just get the rock back in there and get your friggin' hand "OUTTA DA TANK!!!" , a voice screams in my head!

And still I'll walk by the tank, just DYING to see some sharp-toothed, fanged head pop out and smile at me! :D

CYCLE! CYCLE! CYCLE! SO I CAN ADD A CLEAN-UP CREW!!!!

I had just better leave the house for a few hours and quit pestering the tank... :P

hehehehe......

sucks don't it.......

i wen't through FOUR different 'scapes.... and now I'm moving all to a bigger tank....sheesh....never-ending.

harbingerofthefish

it's not just you...

wait until you start adding corals in there. it only gets worse. If you don't drink...start.

I found it best to buy allot more rock than you will actually use, just so you will have a better chance of finding a nice arrangement. Then just sell the left over rock or something.

Some rock pieces just don't fit in right, even when you hand pick em.

Everyone spends more time then they think they should with their hands in their tanks. It is neverending. I have actually built several "tools" out of coat hangers and such just to save the time in the bathroom washing hands to plunge in. As stated before, even if you get it just right, you will more likely have to end up moving things around anyway once you want to add that perfect coral you just btought home. And in the further future, as things begin to fall over, you will need to dive in to strighten them out before they get stung and die, etc. Get used to it. you will never be done with putting your hands in the tank nor ever have it really done.

I had mine "just right" and had taken pics of it and then we had the last ice storm here in NC. I was out of power for 4 days and being the dedicated nano-reefer that I am I put the kerosene heater close to the tank to keep it warm rather than putting it where it would keep me warm! I could only keep it at about 70 that way...but better than 55 which is what it was in my bedroom!

On the third day I couldn't find my Fiji Blue Devil Damsel and figured if he was dead I needed to get him out of there so I moved only two pieces of rock and finally found him (Yes, alive) then tried to put the rock back...arrrgggghhhh...took me an hour and I STILL didn't have it the way it was. I've messed with it since and it's still not "right" but I've given up at this point.

The good news is that my tank seems to have survived with no lasting effects from the power outage.

SeaMountain

LOL! I think I would give a Blue Damsel the kerosene heater. Especially if I had a Blue-eyed long-haired damsel to keep me warm in a 55 degree bedroom!!! :woot:

I did the stupid this morning and toyed with placement yet again.

The result? My monti cap frag was cracked in half (again). Now I have three of those bad boys, none is smaller than the orignal piece. Corals moved, one zoo rock fell and in the process of getting it out of the back, I shifted my rock. lots of chaos. The only real worry now is if my clam is happy in the new location. I should put a sign on the front of the tank that says:

Leave The Tank Alone A**hole!

Maybe then I will heed my own advice.

technoshaman

I know what you mean. I am planning to reaquascape my nano to improve flow and get a little more sandbed area for some LPS I have in there. My rockwork looks really nice now and has 2 'caves' plus a hidden area under a huge piece of live rock that my watchmen gobies and a blood shrimp live in. Downside is my rockwork is so complicated if something gets lost It's so hard to find again. I had 2 small plating monti frags that got knocked off a few days ago and I've been searching for them since. To date I've also lost a small hydnophora frag (here's a tip - don't put this near ANY other coral, I learned the hard way in my larger reef - toxic city and a killer coral) somewhere in the rock plus some ricordea that showed back up later.

I am thinking of moving my jawfish into my current nano and keeping the zoos and shrooms/ricordea that are attached to rocks so they can't get sand on them.

I think the worst part is once everything is really filling in and growing well you see how you could have done things better and have to resist the temptation to pull it apart again.

I spent 2 hours straight trying to get my liverock just right in my 29 gallon. My hands were all shriveled, and I had a bristle worm bristle stuck in my finger. I am always afraid that I'm gonna kill everything on my rocks when I do stuff like that, but it always turns out OK.

SeaMountain

I couldn't help myself... I swear I couldn't!!!

Swinging by the house this morning I checked in on the tank. I swore I was going to NOT touch anything for at least TWO weeks.

I have a problem...

I'm an Aquascapaholic...

Standing there staring into the tank I was wondering if 22 lbs of LR was a bit excessive for my 10g. Then I thought, "N-a-a-a-h... It's just the rock themselves are a bit large. It would have been nice to have received MORE peices of smaller sizes rather than 5-6 of the larger ones...."

"Hmmmmm... I wonder if the stacking is a bit too tall and close to the lights? Hmmmm... I wonder if doing water changes will lower the water levels to below some of the stuff? Hmmmmm... Ya know... If this piece was only slightly moved to the left... And this other one was just angled a bit lower... Hmmmmm..."

It couldn't be stopped I swear! The urge hit me and soon I was removing the hood - knowing that I shouldn't!

"Someone help me... Stop me... I'm falling again!"

Before I knew it one hand was wet. Then I felt an urge to reach in with the other to lift ONE rock while I jostled the other...

The water was wet and cool... The relief swept over me to be toying with the placements... Endorphines were being released into my bloodstream... "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh...."

The rock has been moved. I've promised myself to NOT touch it again. I feel guilty... :*(

But hey! IT IS MY ROCK!!!! :D

B)

sea, you and my dad should get to the same group therapy. he must stick his hands (or his "grabber - 180 gallon so he needs the extension) in the tank at least 15 times a day. He is never happy with the placement. The best thing is in his home tank (72 gal), he has a damsel that survived the crash and has started moving the rocks itself so now my dad comes home ans moves them back. he leaves the tank for a bit, comes back to it and the rock is moved again. It's a constant struggle that the fish is clearly winning. Add to that the fact that the damsel no nips at his arm and hands and you get a real funny scene. Water everywhere as he jerks his arm back with each nip. I'm thinking of filming it for my own personal enjoyment.

I to have the same problem.... everytime I look at my tank I get the urge to to the rocks around to the "perfect aquascap" but it always eludes me <.<

Questions while I am at it... Is there a point when the rock is to high, I have some about 2-3" from the surface? and is there pluses to having your rock a certain way? I have seen tanks with rock all agaisnt the back wall. Some with pile of it in the midde of the tank.. and yet some that place it more in the middle of the tank with space of all sides. I am trying to get as much surface space as I can on my rock for corals. I love zoos and want to try to get as many colors as I can in my mini-bow 7 but still have room for the livestock to be happy.

Pics can be found in my sig.

SeaMountain

Dang Beer!!! I liked the arch setup! :P

I too wonder about the height thing. There is probably not a real wrong way to place it. Heck I'm sure when the earth trembles rock is sliding all over the ocean floor into new positions.

My goal is to provide some floor space for critters to walk around on while having plenty of nice spots for corals and mushrooms. A fine balance in my tank. I have some larger pieces I may end up selling or trading for smaller ones.

One friend with a 90 already is laying claim to two pieces in my 10g! :D

B)

Oh boy! I'm going to be doing the 3rd rearrange of the rock in the 40 this week. I like the left side just fine, the middle table needs to be tipped forward and the right side sucks.

I have rock sticking up out of the water. I really like it. It makes a neat reflection on the surface if the water as you look at the tank.

I just got another ~20 somthin pounds of Kaileni rock the other day, so I'm waitin for it to cure then I can replace some dud pieces I have..

I think I'll try to hunt down some Marshal Island rock next time.

=-_-= zzz.

I'm off to the Marine Scene tomorrow to pick up some caulerpa and darn! wouldn't you know it, they just got a shipment of button encrusted fiji rock. I've been really good and have kept my hands out of my tank for about three weeks now, but I really don't like my arrangement plus, the bubble coral I got two months ago has doubled in size (uh oh) so it needs to be moved to the side of the tank, which means I have to move my brown/green button polyps and feather duster, which means that my new yellow watchman goby's home will be demolished, and I need to glue down my blue mushroom slab of rock that is growing like mad and to top it all off, it's time to scrape algae. Whew!

Now, to do all this, I have to face the percula of doom. This fish is relentless in his pursuit of terror. I used to have to net him and place him in time out while I did tank maintenence, but usually now all I have to do is threaten him with the fish net and he swims behind a rock and glares at me.

The fun begins!

BustytheSnowMaam

I have 20 in my ten too- I don't think it's too much. I did at first. If you have big pieces, however, you might want to take a sledge to them and break them up a bit, rearranging things so you have lots of nice caves for critters to hide in. To me it looks nice as it is though- although I can't tell much because the pic is small.

SeaMountain

Thanks Tashayar! It appears to sit a lot nicer now. A bit flatter across the top for future additions! Hopefully I can leave it alone for a few weeks. A promise to myself! :D

I about cr@pped when I saw your Half-Romulan daughter commanding a Romulan WarBird facing off with the Captain. It was back when the Romulans were assisting a Klingon uprising against Garron and the Councilby smuggling supplies across the Neutral Zone.

Now don't get me drooling about Deanna Troi! You hotties in uniforms... MMMmmmmmmm!!! :P

"Enterprise? This is SeaMountain... One to beam aboard!"

B)

hmm more rock... I went to the divers place to get some tiny rocks today for my fuge and I ended up with a little more than expected.. I now have a total of 20lbs of rock in my 7 bow and fuge. Here is my new auqascaping job. I kinda like it this way my little damsel seems to agree to. But now i realize that hes going to be impossible to catch when I get my clowns <.<

432931MVC-018F.JPG

So far ive been satisfied with my first attempt :)

Not the case with my 55 though, finallly I just tore it down COMPLETELY and re-did it: happy now!

Archived