Pod Your Reef

Coralife Super Skimmer

Reefstalker

mr.fishman01

i had the bubble problem with my cpr bak pak skimmer. it didnt stop having bubbles so i took it out and now i use a power filter, but i dont have a big bio load.

FLcracker94

I hope my CSS For 125's dont do this...lol....ah crud...

Does wet or dry skimming have anything to do with the Over bubble production? I've only read so much in the instructions and it says that dry skimming makes less bubbles...So, maybe the people that are wet skimming are having the trouble, and the ones dry skimming arent...Just a guess lol. Is this right? Or am I just confused? lol

FLcrakcer94: the super skimmer's tend to work better in sumps than they do as hang on skimmers. Mine still produces bubbles in the sump, but they never make it to the display. Occasionally, it will start to overflow and put out tons of bubbles for no apparent reason, and it sometimes will just stop skimming entirely. Go figure. When it works it's fine, but that's when it works.

I had a Remora Pro and got rid of it due to its lack of performance. My CSS125 is far better at skimming, in my opinion. I'll never own another Remora, the CSS 125 has won my vote.

I had a Remora Pro and got rid of it due to its lack of performance. My CSS125 is far better at skimming, in my opinion. I'll never own another Remora, the CSS 125 has won my vote.

Are you using it as HOT or in sump? Did you mod it at all?

There are some good threads about all CSS models over on reefcentral. Just use the search.

Also, check out this link for some good notes/mods!

http://www.tylermerrick.com/content/css_notes.php

FLcracker94

hahahahaha! Mine is working perfectly! It only overflowed once, but I know why....

Reefstalker: Did you make sure (when it overflowed) that the water release valve (red knob) Was turned all the way counterclockwise? This opens it so it wont overflow. You can also ajust it.

My CS65 has performed flawlessly since I got it and the skimmate is really gross smelling and dark. I plugged up that little vent hole on the exit port with that little drain plug off of the fission nano skimmer though, that piece of junk actually came in handy. The only time I had a problem with it was when the pump needed to be cleaned out and when I fed one particular type of filter feeder food. That's all. I think it's a great skimmer, especially at 72 bucks when I got mine.

Reefstalker

Yup, turned the red knob all the way down (counterclockwise). I even reduced the air intake off the pump to allow greater control of the red knob. I've fiddled with this sucker for months and just finally gave up after the 3rd overflow. Could I have modded it just like some of the others?...I guess. But I was so ####ed off at it that it was cathartic to just rip it out, bash it in my patio with a hammer (aaaah...that was a joy), and throw it away.

Here are my conclusion to those reading this thread:

- If money is an issue but time/effort isn't, get a CSS and DIY Mod it. CSS is cheap...and it produces very thick and very dark skimmate.

- If time/effort is an issue but money isn't (my situation...I've sunk thousands of $ in my tank at this point, another $100 or $200 ain't gonna kill me) then get something better that works right out of the box with minimal fuss. There are many great protein skimmers out there.

FLcracker94

ew, I turned off my skimmer so the tank will cycle better, and decided to clean it. I took off the cup, went to the bathroom, and took off the lid, and was gaging on the smell! It was discusting! That wasn't even a dark liquid, and it was only about 1/8th inch high in the cup! mmmm...can't wait till I get all my fish and corals in the tank, and my skimmer REALLY gets a workout! Yummy! lol...

That would be fun to destroy a skimmer, but, I need mine and it works lol.

chessmanmark

If you ever read the ER manual it tells you to run a cup of heated RO/DI water through the venturi hose once a month as part of the regular maintenance. IME if you do this once a week with the SS you will avoid the problems of it overflowing. You may also have to turn it off for an hour after a water change. I run two of them HOB without any problems on my smaller tanks.

Archived