ReefCleaners.org

Such thing as a neusance mushroom?

Phixion

Recently I've noticed a couple of these strang mushrooms growing in my tank, I'm not honestly sure if they are even mushrooms in fact. They look like shrooms though, but when you touch them they aren't slimy like one might think, instead they are sticky and feel like peeling scotch tape from off your fingers when you touch them. Anyways I know one came on a frag I got a while back (can't remember the frag) but I've seen a couple other randomply pop up on my L/R also. Oh yes, I remember now, they orignally came on the putting green paly colony I got several weeks ago. 2 were imbedded in the middle of the colony. One attached to the rock it was near where I had the colony originally. So when I moved the colony onto the sant, that one stayed on the rock and the other stayed with the colony where it still is as I type this. Then I noticed the one a few days ago in the pic you'll see below. It's on a frag of RPE that i have and wasn't there (that I was aware of) when I got the frag about a month ago. Now it's there, and seems like maybe it's suffocating a couple of the polyps at the least. Can it sting them or vice versa? Should I remove whatever it is? Is it good or bad? I just dunno... :scarry:

weird_shroom.jpg?t=1163869809

they look like mini carpet anemones to me i think the species name is s. tapetum

by your description of it being sticky i can almost garuntee it is a mini carpet anemone

Some people think all 'shrooms are a pain.

Would that include rics? lol Nah, I've loved any shroom I've had, I'm just not so sure about this particular one if it is even a shoorm at all...

Almost look's like a small tonga "Bullseye" mushroom to me. Could be some sort of small Rock Anenome too.

D

Well the putting green colony it's on, it doesn't seem to be bothering anything, and i think the 2 RPE polyps that looked distressed this morning were just not ready to wake up or something. Everything is open now around the shroom/anemone things. If it's a shroom, it's a damn ugly one, lol! I should move it closer to my frogspawn. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
Looks like a rhodactis hairy (Tonga) shroom to me guys.

After seeing a pic of a Rhodactis, I'm thinking this is precisely what this thing is in my pic of it. These things seem to multiply like rabbits, lol! I just spotted yet ANOTHER ONe that sprouted up in the past week or so. or perhaps it's one that has moved itself over a few inches...

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

mushrooms and anemones are closely related. none of my rhodactis are sticky though. i just went and touched the 3 different rhodactis in my aquarium to double check. :) they feel very slimy to the touch.

one way to know for sure, bug it alittle. the rhodactis will start pukin his guts out. they look like wavey wrinkled loops of white ribbon.the anemone (even aptasia) will do the same, but the guts look different and more like single strands of thread.

the mushroom will produce these ribbons from all over the disk and not just the mouth.

all rhodactis do this. :)

IMG_2305.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

-

I used to have hairy shrooms that did that... Perhaps they were really rhodactis too. Actually I messed with one like in my pic aabove and it didn't puke at all, it just shrivled itself up into a tight ball almost...

• 1 month later...
Photobucket never leaves pics up ....grrrr

Actually they do, I had the pic in my gallery on here and have since deleted it. ;) I can put it back if you'd like to see it.

Archived