ReefCleaners.org

Clown with white lower lip

NotGumbelWV

Looks like several folks are having health issues with their clowns recently!

On Sun I brought home this naked clown after having been in dealer's QT tank for a week, and having no issues.

Right now it looks like he has a white lower lip and that it is protruding slightly:

PB170033.jpg

PB170035.jpg

(Sorry for poor photo skills -- he's not much for holding still either!)

It could just be my perception, with different lighting (70w MH vs 80w PC) highlighting something differently.

Appetite is fantastic, and the fish is very active. There are no white spots (like grains of salt or otherwise) on his body.

Ideas? I can get a QT tank together in the next day if needed.

doesnt look infectious. could just be from rubbing in the bag or in the dealers tank. i think vigilance and a healthy diet will be all you need.

sounds like youre already vigilant... :)

Hard to tell exactly from the picture but it looks like I had the same problem with a Maroon clown I once had. Someone ID's this likely as "lymphocystis" and it came and went with no treatment. the fish seemed happy all the time and ate and behaved normally so I did not panic too much. Here is the thread...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...4&hl=maroon

Hard to tell exactly from the picture but it looks like I had the same problem with a Maroon clown I once had. Someone ID's this likely as "lymphocystis" and it came and went with no treatment. the fish seemed happy all the time and ate and behaved normally so I did not panic too much. Here is the thread...

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...4&hl=maroon

Good thread, thanks!

doesnt look infectious. could just be from rubbing in the bag or in the dealers tank. i think vigilance and a healthy diet will be all you need.

sounds like youre already vigilant... :)

Trying to balance being vigilant with being mental :lol:

I did notice yesterday that he's finally swimming a little more calmly instead of zipping back and forth across the tank repeatedly. Perhaps that behavior & the white spot are just stress related from being in a new tank? Going to get some garlic extract today for his food, just in case.

UPDATE: He's begun hosting with a powerhead, so that may be less stress and a "cure" for him.

Thanks much for the replies!

He looks spot-free now, and is happy as can be.

Crushed garlic was added to his food. He continues in a misunderstood relationship with a Minijet 404 also LOL

Thanks to Six and Reefpeace for your guidance!

Archived