inTank Media Baskets

Sexy Shrimp

supernip

my sexual harrassment shrimps are probing my rose btas. Is this normal? do any of you guys with these perverse shrimps have any info, anecdotes on this?

If this keeps up, I gotta fire the shrimps from my contest tank. It will make me sad as the only way I could get rid of them without redoing my rockwork is getting something to eat them. Ironic indeed

my sexual harrassment shrimps are probing my rose btas. Is this normal? do any of you guys with these perverse shrimps have any info, anecdotes on this?

If this keeps up, I gotta fire the shrimps from my contest tank. It will make me sad as the only way I could get rid of them without redoing my rockwork is getting something to eat them. Ironic indeed

They are just looking for bits of food, not eating the BTA. They will not harm anemones or coral.

I dunno kiddies, I had the other species of anemone shrimps before; Periclimenes brevicarpalis. three of them eventually killed a rose bta by ripping out its tentacles.

This is why Im kind of nervous about the sexual harrassment shrimps. It's not looking for food, it's just standing next to the rose and proding it. Perhaps the anemone will get used to it. What do you think? Anecdotal evidence, literature support?

Nip

You think they are trying to damage it to cause a mucus production that they then eat...I know thats the relationship between anemone crabs and anemones...but the crab does not cause the mucus it just eats the natural mucus the anemone produces...especially after eating.

Izzue

I'll be watching you on this one Nip. I had a Periclemenes that I put in with a BTA and the anemone did not like it, stayed closed up whenever he would climb on it. After a couple of months the shrimp disappeared, which I noticed because the anemone was opened back up. Some years earlier I had a clownfish on another BTA and the anemone didn't like him at first either, but got used to him within a week.

I've been wanting to move a sexy into my nano with the BTA, now I'm nervous too,

reeefermadness

i have 4 sexys and they bother my zoas... after adding alot more coral into the tank, they kinda go on everything looking for mucus and stuff, so the focus is not on that one colony of zoas anymore. maybe try a condy anem to distract them.

Archived