Innovative Marine Aquariums

Another trip to Homedepot for me = good news for US!

SaltyDawg

I have yet again discovered a cheaper alternative for a ballast!

Only this time it is for METAL HALIDE BABY YEAH!!!!

I have no way of knowing if all homedepots cary theese ballast's , but the one near me carry's a magnetek 175watt core and coil type as well as the tar ( F-Can) type.

The Cat number for the core-coil ballast is 72C5581-N-P

The CAT number for the F-Can ( tar ballast) is 1110-245SC-TC

The Mogul base socket type is an E39.

I havent got a price on them yet but they said it is a good bet they are under 40 buck's!! ( They stock mogul socket's and are waiting on the ballast's)

MH Bulbs ( although I am not sure of the kelvin temp.) are 21.99 at Lowes for anything from a 400watt to a 175 watt bulb they are all the same price.

This could turn out to be a goldmine on EBAY if they are of use to us aquarist's! :) Will keep you reefer's updated as I am treking out again this saturday to another home depot.

Nishant3789

.....been known a looong time... sry lol. the bulbs wont ever be higher than 4000k. but the ballast will work if you want to do that iwisaki mercury vapor thingy. i dunno its alotta DIY work but if u wanna do it. cool.

nishant

Oh well :) Can you say "egg on da face!" LOL!!! They cant get them in my area anymore they say any how . I just bought a dual 175 watt set up any ways off ebay for 104 buckaroos so I am in there either way now! Montropia , sps, lps here I come baby!!! :)

• 3 weeks later...

6800k ? I thought they didnt carry anything higher than 4k in halide or vapor. Be carfully with vapor bulbs dude. They blow up prety easily. I do mean blow up too as in explode.

I think you must have been replying when I was correcting myself. :) I was thinkign one thing while my fingers were thinking another.

Kewl. yeah I saw what ya wrote then looked at the link and said Hmmmmmmm..... LOL ;) So how high do your temps run and what is the color like with Vapor at 6800k?

Its a nice white color, I can't complain. I'll take a picture of it later and post it so you can see the setup and hopefully a good rendition of the color. Its exactly the color I would expect from a bulb that spectrum. Can't complain for a 175 watt pendant at 30 bucks total. :)

its all about heat and powerconsumption. A concept a few have not grasped yet lol.

If you only have one light, its ok. In my case, NIAGRAMOHAWK POWER would consider me their bestest favoritestes buddy O' Palliest customah.

High Bay and Low bay is another issue. some are juicers, and have high heat output. As long as the heat is not an issue, you can use halogen worklights over the tank realisticly it is NOT the best idea, but if you need to make up for intensity, it works.....

in a Ghetto sort of way ;)

Its a ghetto old ballast I got for 15 bucks at a reef meeting and then I got the bulb for 12 and the pendant is an upside down planter that I drilled. :) Works great, and its not all THAT hot. I suppose I could go calculate how much excess heat its producing (or at least the energy its using to do so) but I don't wanna know. :)

Archived