Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Largest tank on second floor?

MFish

What's the largest tank you've had on your second floor?

I had a 30gal, and am looking into setting up a 46 column.

Ideas? Will I wind up with a hole in my floor and a broken tank in the dining room? :o

I had a 60 on the second floor before. I did make sure it went the opposite direction of the floor joists so they would bear the load better.

Well, I don't know if you have to. It just worked out that way for me. It gave me more piece of mind knowing more of the joists were bearing the weight.

Well the area I was going to put it in anyway runs perpendicular to the floorboards [same way the tub does]

I now have some slight peace of mind that an octopus wont come crashing through the floor during christmas dinner :) hahaha

ReefApprentice
Well the area I was going to put it in anyway runs perpendicular to the floorboards [same way the tub does]

I now have some slight peace of mind that an octopus wont come crashing through the floor during christmas dinner :) hahaha

Your guests would be like, "I told you this wierdo would have something like sushi for christmas!"

Your guests would be like, "I told you this wierdo would have something like sushi for christmas!"

Especially if it's octopus. ;)

zoom.gif

Could be on the dinner plate!

I had a 220G on the 60th floor if that counts :)

What's the largest tank you've had on your second floor?

I had a 30gal, and am looking into setting up a 46 column.

Ideas? Will I wind up with a hole in my floor and a broken tank in the dining room? :o

I don't think you need to worry until you get upwards of 75G, but then again that depend on how the carpenter was feeling the day he put in your floor. Running perpindicular to the joists is a sure way of avoiding a catastrophe. I have a 33g that is against a wall that goes witth the floor joists, I am not too worried that the floor is going to come down.

I have a 40g tank in a second floor and it freaks me out to think that one day a little earthquake can bring that tank down and there will be corals and fish on my floors. YIKES :scarry:

mybuickskill6979
there are people that weigh upwards of 500lbs.

hehe i have f riend like that lol. lets just say a single extra large pizza is a snack to this dude. :lol: well he was my friend tell he only let me have one slice (of my own pizza at my b-day)

I have a 40g tank in a second floor and it freaks me out to think that one day a little earthquake can bring that tank down and there will be corals and fish on my floors. YIKES :scarry:

I don't think it matters what floor youre on with an earthquake haha

mybuickskill6979
I don't think it matters what floor youre on with an earthquake haha

it actually kind of does taler buildings sway a little even after the quake has rolled through and its more noticeable the higher up you go. where as the ground floor its just boom and its done. but yeah okay!!hehe!! :lol:

I'm putting a 120g on my second floor in the next few months, and I've been told by many that there should be no problem as long as it is near a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists.

Its possible, depending on your house of course, to have a tank up to 125 gallons on your second floor without additional bracing, and up to 240g if you add additional 2x4 or 4x4 bracing to your floor. You just have to be careful about placemnt and check on how many lbs/square inch your floor can handle (based on when your house was built and the building codes). This of course is just a rough guide, and depends on the tanks dimensions.

I have a 120 gallon turtle tank on my 2nd floor, theres about 100-110 gallons of water in it. I have it against a load baring wall and its been standing for about 2 years.

I'm putting a 120g on my second floor in the next few months, and I've been told by many that there should be no problem as long as it is near a load bearing wall and perpendicular to the floor joists.

Yup your right to be safe put it agaisnt a load bearing wall perpendicular to the floor joist most houses built in the last 10 years should give you no problem. I cant remeber the numbers but i think it was a 70 gallon tank fileld with just water = to over 700 pound err or 500 then you add you sump say another 150 pounds live rock 100 pounds 50 in the sump 50 in the tank your 100 pounds of sand between the sump and main tank you looking at 1000 pounds but i think my number are wayyyyyyyy off so dont listen to anything i just said.. java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_11')

;)

Socalsuperhero
Yup your right to be safe put it agaisnt a load bearing wall perpendicular to the floor joist most houses built in the last 10 years should give you no problem. I cant remeber the numbers but i think it was a 70 gallon tank fileld with just water = to over 700 pound err or 500 then you add you sump say another 150 pounds live rock 100 pounds 50 in the sump 50 in the tank your 100 pounds of sand between the sump and main tank you looking at 1000 pounds but i think my number are wayyyyyyyy off so dont listen to anything i just said.. java script:emoticon(';)', 'smid_11')

;)

I had a 75 on the 3rd floor of our old ghetto 80 year old fraternity house. No problems.

Archived