Pod Your Reef

Just started my 5 gallon flat back hex

jimi thing

Okay so I wanted to start a pico tank and spend as little money as possible. I purchased a 5 gallon flat back hex used from my LFS for $5. I used an acrylic trash can that I cut for the filter/pump chamber. A pump that I had in my other tank and purchased some lights from Nanotuners. I figure I have about $50 into this. 2005Roxiandcompany141.jpg

2005Roxiandcompany145.jpg

2005Roxiandcompany142.jpg

2005Roxiandcompany147.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. The fan has some small holes drilled in the hood above the fan. The small pieces of LR is all that I had out of my other tank, I plan on buying a little more.

I would get rid of that aluminum foil and replace it with some sort of shiny metal...

I heard that the foil can melt away and drip toxins into the tank and crash it.

I would get rid of that aluminum foil and replace it with some sort of shiny metal...

I heard that the foil can melt away and drip toxins into the tank and crash it.

Thanks for the advice. The foil is just a temp solution. Just added more live rock.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought that I would post a pic of the progress so far. I added a few more pieces of coral and more LR. I plan to purchase a frag pack after X-MAS.

2005Roxiandcompany154.jpg

I'll be getting my macro algae tomorrow so hopefully I can get rid of some of the Cyno.

Thanks! I just added some macro so hopefully I can get rid of this cyno.

lol when I had cyano before I started to manually remove it I put cheato in the tank and since the cheato eats nutrients like crazy the cyano started growing on the cheato !

Looking good.

I would be careful mounting electrical items (that heat up) directly to the wood canopy.

To prevent a fire or burning, see if you can cut a metal or plastic sheet to fit inside the top of your canopy. Mount the stuff to that.

How many watts are you running in this tank? I want to do a 10g hex but I am not sure where to start.. Any ideas?

The lighting was purchased from Nanotuners.com for $36. They are 2X18W 50/50's.

The fuge light is just a $5, 10W screw in pc from the pet dept at Wal-mart.

You've inspired me to make my own trashcan modded tank. By the way, is that a cheese grater in the back as a partition? Very cool.

Haha, no, not a cheese grater, it kinda looks like one though :D.

Haha, no, not a cheese grater, it kinda looks like one though :D.

Darn, that woulda been a first. Still, inspiring, and I'm getting a 10 gallon to experiment with. It will henceforth always be: the trashcan mod.

Darn, that woulda been a first. Still, inspiring, and I'm getting a 10 gallon to experiment with. It will henceforth always be: the trashcan mod.

Jimi! Nice tank! I'm diggin it!

what is the cheeze grater then?

and did you put any LR in the fuge?

And the more important question:

What are you thinking about stocking it with?

Haha, I think that he thought the piece of acrylic deviding the macro from the pump chamber was a cheese grater :D. I don't have any LR in the fuge area. I was once told that the LR was a perfect place to harbor detridus.

The near future plans (hopefully before X-MAS) include a fairly large frag pack of softies and some colorful zoas and maybe a tang :o just kidding. :)

Oh yeah, I just added a little red star.

Archived