inTank Media Baskets

Red Bugs!......

SeeDemTails

So as I was staring at my tank today like I always do I gave my purple tipped acro a close look to check out the new growth. This coral has been growing very well in the past few months, putting on nearly half an inch if not more of new growth.

I recently added a Pocillopora and a Montipora. Red bugs are supposed to favor acroporids. These deffintaley came from the montipora. I QTed both frags before addition, but of course not with interceptor.

I plan on doing the standard interceptor treatment .025mg/10 gal/6 hours then 25% pwc and carbon both repeated in 24 hours for threes doses.

I have read of some folks used less doses in nanos.....any experiences?

Also, if anyone has experience, what did you use to measure .025mg?

I would post in the disease forum but this seamed a little more advanced.

TIA

Billy

Have you seen the red bugs? Just wanted to make sure with a pic or something that they really are RB before you go about dosing your tank. My knowledge of RB tells me that they live on only acropora and unlike AEFW or Montipora nudibranchs, can only be brought in on acropora (i.e. not live rock or montipora sp.)

For measuring the dosage level, you could probably take it down to a pharmacy and have them measure it out for you. If the coral is healthy and doing fine, I don't see an immediate need to nuke the bugs. What I would do is prepare a separate culture of copepods and such, remove shrimps and crabs. The copepods will be very important to your tank after the treatment is done as most of them will be dead afterwards and you will see some pretty serious algae blooms.

My knowledge of RB tells me that they live on only acropora and unlike AEFW or Montipora nudibranchs, can only be brought in on acropora (i.e. not live rock or montipora sp.)

I am 100% sure they are red bugs...they are all over my acro and they are red and tiny.

Thats what I thought too. They deffinatley came from the montipora, I can see them on it as well as my acro, not visibile on the pocillopora though. The monti and pocillopora came from a frag tank with tons of acro frags, so it doesnt suprise me....maybe they arent damageing it, just hitch hiking...im not sure. All I know is they are there and I have to deal with them now.

I will probably take a small peice of LR from my other tank and use it to jump start my pod population after the final treatment.

I have no shrimp in the tank right now, but would remove the hermits.

The tank is a 10 gal aga with a 1/2 gallon sump....minus LR and sand....I am guessing 8 gallons total displacement. That would be .020mg according to the dosage. I also plan on doing a 50% pwc after the treatent rather than a 25%...It is easy enough for me to do so.

red bugs are a walk in the park compared to AEFWs.

don't hesitate to drop the I-bomb, it isn't as bad as you think. I'm about to nuke my tank and hoping my peppermint will survive. there is no way i can catch him...

the interceptor does not harm your corals or inverts in any way, and your pods will make a very fast comeback.

I am going to go get my vet to hook me up with some, and see if he can measure it or tell me where to go, probably a pharmacy.....If not Im sure I have a couple high school buddies who have a scale that can measure that amount! ;).

Catch him with a coke bottle trap...works well!...I bet he cant resist a little brine!

I am going to go get my vet to hook me up with some, and see if he can measure it or tell me where to go, probably a pharmacy.....If not Im sure I have a couple high school buddies who have a scale that can measure that amount! ;).

Catch him with a coke bottle trap...works well!...I bet he cant resist a little brine!

please let me know when you get some, i think i may have lost my pill....

Archived