Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My new 2.5 details...

erik765

I just got my hood set up on my 2.5g. (Finally)

Here is a pic of the hood

hood.jpg

and the tank w/ it on.

picowlights.jpg

it's 4-13w 50/50 10k/ actinic 03 from hellolights. A RS 3" fan on one end (noisy as heck, going to try and find a quiter brand!)Everything else is DIY. Cost about $65. I made the reflector myself from an extra myro4 I had from ahsupply.

I plan to keep montiporas in here w/ a few LPS, softies and probably my Hippopus from my 20g. Probably no fish for now, since it will not have a skimmer. I still need a heater which I will put in the HOB. I will be seting up a DIY topoff system from a mini valve I found, (pics on this later) I will also keep macro algae in the HOB. For water flow, again, the HOB provides more than enough, I even had to turn in down!

I have taken every measure to make this as stable of a system as I can. I will figure out my evaporation rate and add supplements to my topoff to keep Ca/Alk levels good. If it gets too hot, I will either make the hood a pendant and/or add a DIY chiller w/ a temp. controler. The cool thing about picos is everything is small so it's easy and cheap!

;)

E

nice work.

question: how'd you cut the ahsupply reflector? was it difficult? (nice hybrid job for the control valve to the HOB lol (rios are good for something i guess))

Hey, Yeah, rios ARE good for somthin'!! I am the DIY King! I always find a way to make things fit!!

You definetly don't need a jigsaw to cut/bend the reflectors, infact, seems to me that would chew it up real bad. I just scored it with a blade where I wanted to cut (break) it and bent it 'til it broke. If you just want a bend, just bend it and stop before it breaks!! It took one 22" reflector to make what I did. So far it hasn't heated my tank at all. I have a LOT of air flow w/ this fan, and my evaporation has about tripled! BTW, if anyone wants a hood like this, I'm sure I can make more! The coloration is AWESOME from these bulbs. Absolutely perfect!

;)

E

Archived