Top Shelf Aquatics

My pistol shrimp exiled my Yashia!

schwaz

Turmoil in the nano! It seems as if my pistol shrimp no longer wants any part of my Yashia goby. I bought them paired and they paired right up when I put them in the tank. Now, 3 weeks later, the pistol won't let the Yashia into his lair. He snaps at him every time he enters. Now my Yashia looks sad wandering around the tank looking for places to hide. Any reasons why this would happen? Is the pistol laying eggs or something? Input needed.

Well... it now appears that my pistol shrimp ate the Yashia. I have nothing else in the tank besides hermits and snails. There is absolutely no sign of the fish. I tore down the tank and could not find anything. I sifted through the sand and nothing! I talked to a guy at my LFS and he said he's heard of it before... although rare.

I do not want to hear this...I am waiting on a Candycane pistol and a Yasha to arrive later this week for my nano. I will NOT be happy if the pistol makes a meal of the goby :angry:

I've never heard of this, btw its yasha i think....anyways I'm sorry to hear how unfortunate this is, and never even heard of it....

bad luck?

-Samoyed

i really doubt a pistol can eat a yasha. maybe if it was hungry enough? even so i doubt they will turn on their partner. if this really is the case, then it explains my lost yasha.

Well... peep this. My Yashia is alive! This is good since I nearly bought a mantis to kill the pistol. Anyhow, I have a BC 8 and somehow the Yashia made it through the lower filter area. He must have wiggled his body through the grate. Anyhow, I thought he was stuck so I took some cutters and cut the grate away.... apparently he likes it in there. There is good flow and excess food floats by so he barely has to move. The weird thing is that the Yashia and the shrimp are still fighting. Occassionally I will hear the pistol poppin' away. When I check on the tank, the pistol will be in the filter are where the fish was and the fish will be back to his old hiding place in the LR. Then the shrimp will come flying back out again and go after the fish. I think he liked it better when the grate was still there so the shrimp couldn't get in. Anyhow, I am not sure what kind of pistol it is. Its body is light orange and it has 2 dark orange stripes that run the length of its body. I am transfering everything to a 10 gallon AGA soon so I will have to find a way to get the goby out of that area without killing him. Maybe he'll leave once the shrimp is out. Anyhow, now I don't get to see either the shrimp or the fish. They are always hiding.

P.S. I think there are many different names a variations of Yashia. http://www.marinecenter.com/fish/gobies/yashiagoby/

good thing you didnt add a mantis as i think pistol shrimp are one of the few things that can kill them if the mantis was small enough, now if it was say a 3-4" peacock mantis it would be too large to put in that tank and it would take only a few blows before that shrimp would be done for

We just got a Randall (candycane) pistol. He's a riot to watch. He set up home against the glass so it's like watching an ant farm.

The Yasha probabley won't be in until xmas or shortly after. Hopefully they will work out.

My two idiots are always hiding. The fish is hiding from the shrimp and the shrimp lives in his castle under the LR. I only see both of them when the shrimp is chasing the fish. Hopefully the Randall will be friendly than this current clown.

We just got a Randall (candycane) pistol. He's a riot to watch. He set up home against the glass so it's like watching an ant farm.

The Yasha probabley won't be in until xmas or shortly after. Hopefully they will work out.

Sweet,I cant wait to get my goby/pistol pair goin!

Maby its a japanese pistol you have...

• 3 weeks later...

Did you ever get a positive id on the pistol? I would tend to think that they are only together because of the uncertainty caused by the transfer.

Archived